pole bend

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
Alexaki22
PV Newbie
Expertise: Upper Merion High School vaulter
Lifetime Best: 11'00
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: John Hancock

pole bend

Unread postby Alexaki22 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:56 pm

Recently I have been blasting through my vaulting until I hit 9' feet. Yes, I have cleared 9' feet before but now I am suddenly stuck. I do have many things to work on but overall I have a powerful run up and decent technique. I have yet to do a proper turn over yet, which was what I thought my problem was for clearing over 9' feet. What happens is I go into my rock back then I shoot out at the bar going over it with my hip. My rock back is also a little rushed, that doesn't help either. Usually my hip hits the crossbar while I’m parallel with it knocking it down. A coach kept telling me that I was doing this because I have no turn over going for me. But as I was vaulting today at a meet a private coach approached me numerous times giving me tips. After I was finished he told me what my problem was. He stated that my pole is way to light for me. The only reason it's bending is because of the pressure of my weight on it. And I am over bending the pole far too much thus the reason I am getting no pop at the end and its very hard for me to turn over. This in return is sending me shooting out into the cross bar. He then told me I need to move up a weight or I will never clear. Because if I use a heavier pole the stiffness will allow me to jump higher. He continued to tell me my pole should pretty much only be a warm up pole for me and that it is terrible for my level at the moment. I want to know if this is true? I have a meet coming up this Friday and I would love to clear 9'! Only problem is we recently put our mats away so I can't test out if his statement is true. Ill I can do is lift and do pole run-ups/plants in a sliding plant box. The other issue is currently I’m vaulting on a lady rocket 110 11' the only other poles we have 11' are pacer mystic 110 11' and pacer mystic 130'. Should I use the 130 in my upcoming meet even though ill have no practice on it? I have used it before and I cleared 7'6 on it. Or is what the coach told me not true and I should just continue using the lady rocket 110? Id really appreciate some help, thanks! :D
Heres a link to one of my attempts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNh18By-JdE

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: pole bend

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:08 pm

You are doing a lot of good stuff and it does look like you are ready for a bigger pole. Where were your standards on that jump?

11' poles have evolved a lot over the years, which is a good thing, but unfortunately it means you can't go by just the weight ratings unless they were made in the same era.

On the top of each your poles, there should be some engravings... unless they have a yellow weight label, then there will be a white sticker (that may have worn off) or some small writing on the yellow label.

For both of the 110s and the 130, can you tell us what the engravings say for each pole? That will help me know if moving up poles is a good idea.

Also, does your school have any longer poles, like 11'6 or 12'?

Alexaki22
PV Newbie
Expertise: Upper Merion High School vaulter
Lifetime Best: 11'00
Favorite Vaulter: John Hancock

Re: pole bend

Unread postby Alexaki22 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:11 pm

The standards were at 23. The 110 has a white sticker on the top of the pole with the following: Model No LR11110 Serial No 200609606 Flex number 21.3 Weight 110. Is that what you where asking for? I do not have the 130 at the moment ill get that poles information to you tomorrow. We have a 115 11'6 catapole which is not in the best of conditions, Theres another that is a 12' 120 mystic, and we just bought a spirit 12' 1.5 120 in hopes of me using it sometime during spring. We may have a few others that are 11'6 or 12 ill check tomorrow and get back to you on that as well.

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”