Soft side up or down in your vault approach?

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.

Do you run with the soft side up or down in your approach?

up
68%
down
29%
what's a "soft side"?
3%

Total votes: 31

VerticalAssault
PV Beginner

Soft side up or down in your vault approach?

Unread postby VerticalAssault » Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:11 pm

I was just looking at an old picture of Michelle Kirkado - Woodbury HS Central Valley, NY- from the 1999 Golden West Invite (winner at 12-9.5) and noticed she's holding the soft side down in her approach run? I thought this was strange, even though we do have someone here in PA that teache's this. I was wondering how many other vaulters out there are taught that way?

jhesch
PV Pro

Unread postby jhesch » Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:49 pm

When Im running, I carry the pole w/ soft side (compression side) up, so when i bring my hand up to press, the pole will turn with it with compression side facing me. though i have seen people run with it upside down, and then end up with twisters....or some will run with top hand at shoulder already ready to plant, with soft side down.

VerticalAssault
PV Beginner

Unread postby VerticalAssault » Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:07 pm

and i'm talking about a trditional pole carry. Top hand by hip, front hand in front of sternum.

vaultguru6
PV Pro

Unread postby vaultguru6 » Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:37 pm

i could see that working if they were gripping the pole with their front hand and letting it rotate during the pole drop and plant in their right hand. It'd be very wierd, but i guess that if you can and do do it that way its not going to be a huge disadvantage. Kinda wierd though.

Lord of the Poles
PV Master

Unread postby Lord of the Poles » Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:20 pm

Some people do it though with the soft side down during their run...it's just weird...but somehow they do it... :-\

njvaulter
PV Whiz

Unread postby njvaulter » Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:54 pm

Are you talking about if you put the pole in your hand open and it rolls so the bend would go into the ground then thats how i hold it.

VerticalAssault
PV Beginner

Unread postby VerticalAssault » Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:00 pm

yeah, that would be soft side up. I think Sky poles still put a sticker on their poles that say soft side. I know they use to.

das_1971
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, bum
Lifetime Best: smthing lo
Favorite Vaulter: Don Pablo Espanol

Unread postby das_1971 » Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:02 pm

I carry limp wristed. Saw Miles do it in a video and thought it would be a good idea. I also run with the pole parallel and pick it up off the first step. Works for me anyway
Ow

VerticalAssault
PV Beginner

Unread postby VerticalAssault » Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:38 am

I hope your joking. Last time I saw Miles it looked like he got the wrist thing changed. And I think it's an advantage to use your pole drop to increase your run speed and tempo, but you do what works for you.

das_1971
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, bum
Lifetime Best: smthing lo
Favorite Vaulter: Don Pablo Espanol

Unread postby das_1971 » Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:30 pm

I got some problems with my right hand, so a little limp wristed in the left helps balance things out. it also helps if you have a tendency to over press the bottom hand and pull with the top, since more of the poles weight is in the right hand during the run
Ow

kush
PV Newbie

Unread postby kush » Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:56 pm

I run with the soft side down, and I've never had any problems with twisters either. The pole rotates in my right hand when I plant. So I guess I'm just weird like that. :P

jhesch
PV Pro

Unread postby jhesch » Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:11 pm

kush, so when you plant the soft side (same as compression side) is facing forward (away from you?) in other words bending it backwards?

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”