Mental Problem with taking off

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
pbplayer10
PV Newbie
Expertise: Going to be junior, vaulting for 2 years
Lifetime Best: 12'6
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Mental Problem with taking off

Unread postby pbplayer10 » Tue May 31, 2011 9:14 pm

Im coming here today to ask for some advice when it come to taking off consistently. My problem is that for about a Month, i have taken maybe once, sometimes not even at all during practices. Im becoming extremely frustrated, because my current pr is nowhere near where i would eventually like it to be, and i cant work towards that goal until i can get off the ground. So im wondering is there anything mentally i can do, or anything you can recommend to me to do, to insure that i will take off again.

jbelokur
PV Beginner
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 12 9
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Re: Mental Problem with taking off

Unread postby jbelokur » Tue May 31, 2011 9:35 pm

Are you doing any drills? Three or four step plant drills? Are you working with a slide box? Or are you just spending your practices trying to do full jump attempts?
Maybe you need some time where the actually jump is taken out of the equation.
Josh

MattM
PV Nerd
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 15
Favorite Vaulter: Scott Huffman

Unread postby MattM » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:57 pm

Are you not taking off on every jump or on every jump from your full approach/highest grip?

I recommend doing the majority of your jump session (spending all of it would be more beneficial) doing three step drills, trying to maximize your stiff pole grip while keeping proper technique. I presume that, seeing your PR is 12'6, your approach is no more than a 7 step? If so, then after doing the three step drills, move to a four step with a fist or two higher grip. (Move the step back for the first jump or two then move the grip up accordingly.) Then move to a five step with a slightly higher grip. Do the same thing for a six step. After doing a few jumps from a six step on a stiff pole, move to a flexible pole that is easier to get on than what you use in competition. Do several flexible pole vaults from this six step mark. Then move to a seven step, on the same flexible pole at the same grip. Do several vaults like this and then slowly move up poles/grips until you are on the pole that you are currently not going up with. It's all about progression.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:10 am

Problems with not taking off are usually more technical than mental - put some film of your run and plant up - take off as well if you can manage it so we can see what the issues really are.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”