short approach - stiff or bendy pole?

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
yoboe
PV Beginner

short approach - stiff or bendy pole?

Unread postby yoboe » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:01 pm

so i some searches about different short approach drill but i didnt find exactly what i was looking for:
when im working on my inversion phase i do lots of one two and three step short approaches with low grips, probably around 8, 9, 10 ft grips depending on the length of the run. (really easy simple low impact stuff) . usually i use a stiff pole and ignore bend and let my lower arm collapse as soon as my swing starts. it definately helps me get more comfortable with inverting and i can concentrate on my middle phases safely. the only problem is that once i move back up to my normal grip (13') it never feels normal because im getting real bend and i'm not used to being so inverted with bend (its scary!!) .
SO i was wondering if using a really bendy pole from a low grip, would it be good for me to get some bend from a low grip and practice getting inverted with bend while going deep into the pit? then id just work my way back up slowly, hopefully consistently vaulting above my grip by the end of the season. doable goal? doable drill? thanks a ton :)

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”