Flying away

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
HmanVaulter
PV Newbie

Flying away

Unread postby HmanVaulter » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:30 pm

I have been doing well in my vaults but i just recently started using a longer pole and holding a little lower since its a bit smaller, my problem is that when i take off i fly off to the right. I dont know how to prevent or correct this. Its like somthing just completely changed for this to happen but i dont know what. I think it might be my plant but not sure. If anyone could let me know what im doing wrong or how to correct this i really would appreciate it.

Im using 155 14'6'' holding at about 13 6''
-Hman

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:32 pm

Any problems you have, especially with your plant, will amplify themselves big time when you get on a bigger pole. What's most likely happening is that you're plant doesn't quite make it directly over your head, instead it's to the right.

Another problem that might be causing this is an off balance take-off. If you're leaning to the right during take-off, then guess what: you'll go right! Hope that helps. Maybe try to get a video up for some more help.
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

bel142
PV Pro
Expertise: Open Post Collegiate, Collegiate Coach, BS - Kinesiology, MEd - Advanced Level Coaching

Unread postby bel142 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:04 pm

Another reason you might be drifting at take off is because you are not lining your plant up correctly. Make sure that at take off you are hitting the pole right down the center. Note Pavel Gerasimov 2004 Olympic finals.

LHSVaulterJJR
PV Whiz
Expertise: current college vaulter, former USATF and high school coach
Favorite Vaulter: David spivey, scott roth

Unread postby LHSVaulterJJR » Sun May 04, 2008 11:31 pm

theyve pretty much nailed it. when you got on the bigger pole you are probably still beggining to initiate the plant at the same time as you did on the smaller one. but the extra length of the pole probably makes it hit before your plant is completly above your head. just try planting a little earlier and make sure your takeing off with your hands above your head. also dont let your legs drift and dont begin rowing as this might cause you to shoot to the side.
loving life, making progress, exceeding expectations

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”