how important is a straight left arm

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
bulldogvaulter
PV Wannabe
Expertise: high school vaulter

how important is a straight left arm

Unread postby bulldogvaulter » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:41 pm

I am a sophmore pole vaulter wiht a PR of 12'1". I got this PR at Bells Athletics and they didnt really stress on kepping a locked out left arm. I dont have a coach and i watch videos all the time on people vaulting all the time and so many of them have much straighter arm then me. So if anyone can help me out on this it would be great.

AR01
PV Whiz

Unread postby AR01 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:57 pm

Do not lock out the bottom arm. You're blocking so hard by doing that. Keeping it straight and maintaining pressure up is important for the rest of your swing.

nitro
PV Master

Unread postby nitro » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:20 pm

i was talking to Dave Volz and the main thing that he told me was to rotate through the shoulder so when you push out with the left arm instead of driving the left arm forward rotate it up towards the sky through your shoulder but do not break the left arm making it hit yourself in the head but keep it high above your head. watch video of bubka to see it more indepth
Last edited by nitro on Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pain is only temporary victory is forever

bulldogvaulter
PV Wannabe

Unread postby bulldogvaulter » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:38 pm

ok i will try and do that and thanks for the diagram but right now my left elbow almost ends up infront of the pole is that really bad ?

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:38 pm

Do you mean that your left elbow and hand are in front of your body? If so, then yes. If your hands come out in front of you, you can never swing around them. Keep your hands centered over your head, and bend your left elbow as the illustration shows as needed for the amount of bend. you keep the pole centered by holding your top hand where it is, and steadying the pole with your bottom. Thats the only purpose the bottom arm has during the take off and swing, steady the pole. Dont pull or push forward.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

learning to fly
PV Nerd
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter

Unread postby learning to fly » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:22 pm

ive been taught to do exactly as the diagram says. push up and over your head, but don't lock it out

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:22 am

"LOCK" is a bad word. But if you are on big enough poles you will be able to get your left arm straight. "lock" sounds like your elbow is locked and does not unbend, which isnt true. As you swing to vertical your left arm does unbend before you pull.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

OH-IOvaulter
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter, Former College Vaulter, Former High School Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Mondo Duplantis: 8yrs/9ft!!

Unread postby OH-IOvaulter » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:08 pm

Congrats on a PR of 12' 1" as a soph. Thats really good, especially if you consider that you are doing a lot of form work (read straight pole/technique) to get you there and not just simply riding a pole up and flipping over the bar. I'm sure you are looking for an answer to get you higher this season and quickly, but the best advice I can give is to look for a reputable camp to go to this summer.
What is nice about this sport is that I am responsible for most everything.
-Sergei Bubka

bulldogvaulter
PV Wannabe

Unread postby bulldogvaulter » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:32 pm

Thanks for the complment and ya i am trying to get enough money saved up to go back down to bells athletics for a 4 day camp this summer. I go every year for a 2 day camp right before season starts. But i want to go and stay longer and learn more. I was also thinking about doing this summer track program were you train for like these big time meets. Do you think I shoud or is that to high of a level for me right now?

OH-IOvaulter
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter, Former College Vaulter, Former High School Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Mondo Duplantis: 8yrs/9ft!!

Unread postby OH-IOvaulter » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:38 pm

Not too high of a level at all, especially if you understand that you aren't going to be the highest jumper there. You can learn a lot by being around, watching, and jumping with better jumpers. You'd be surprised how much you progress when you immerse yourself in any sport.
What is nice about this sport is that I am responsible for most everything.

-Sergei Bubka

bulldogvaulter
PV Wannabe

Unread postby bulldogvaulter » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:42 pm

Thanks I will look into it after my regular season is over. I dont have a coach at all besides camp for 2 days ou of the year. I have learned buy watching vids on you tube and buying them so i thot maybe there might some sort of coach at the practice for the summer team also.

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:44 pm

Check out SRU. Where is Bell Athletics located? Who coaches there? What are the costs?
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”