The swing throuh

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
HmanVaulter
PV Newbie

The swing throuh

Unread postby HmanVaulter » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:44 am

Im an 18 senior. 165 on a 13 skypole. I hope you can help me. Im doing the run and the plan good but as i shoot up i tend to stop halfway. Like i give out. My feet come up to meet my hands but thats all that happens. I dont get inverted straight. I kinda just get launched forward in that "sitting-feet up" position. It also feels like its a big blur after i take off. Almost as if i cant really focus on doing what i need to. seems like my body does what it wants in order to just go high. I would like to know what drills or anything to keep in mind as i vault to help me get inverted and turned...Thanks
-Hman

AR01
PV Whiz

Unread postby AR01 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:10 pm

high bar, rope, and ring drills. also, use the search tool. this has been covered many times before.

spikey17
PV Newbie

Unread postby spikey17 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:39 pm

In addition to what AR01 said, try to develop your abdominal muscle strength. It will help in your vault overall.
Chris

BRANDT
PV Beginner

Unread postby BRANDT » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:06 pm

Core strength is definitely a great thing to have, but basically what I think about when my feet are at my top hand is to just pull with that top hand (*note* READ BELOW POST) keeping it close to your body and in return your shoulder will drop and as long as you are collapsing your bottom arm correct your turn should follow. The sensation can be replicated by using a stubby pole and going through your take off to invert phases making sure the extension of your body for your invert is done in an explosive manner.
Last edited by BRANDT on Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:18 pm

Just to bring some life into a slow period I will state that stubby drills of the kind you mention are a waste of space and time. ;) :devil:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:19 pm

Forgot -also suggest that you DO NOT pull with your top arm. :yes:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

BRANDT
PV Beginner

Unread postby BRANDT » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:01 am

altius wrote:Just to bring some life into a slow period I will state that stubby drills of the kind you mention are a waste of space and time. ;) :devil:

Hehe, I figure they could help him feel what muscles are being used when he is extending his body at invert and feel how the hips move forward and shoulder drop back, as far as the pulling with the top arm its not a pull its just a pulling sensation on your top hand as your shoulder drop back. Most definitely dont pull with that top hand but you will notice a weight shift is what I meant so there will be what feels like a pull of weight on that top arm from the shoulders dropping back and the hips coming forward to get close to the pole. Thanks for the notes on my post though Altius!

*EDIT* In replacement of the stubby drills you could always get on a smaller pole and shorter step and work exclusively on your invert. Then your working on all stages of the vault as well as the invert.

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”