speed

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
altius
PV Rock Star

Re: speed

Unread postby altius » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:58 pm

vquestpvc wrote:Attend any high school dual meet, invitational or state meet and see where most of the falls and injuries occur." It isn't in the pole vault. Most track injuries occur in the hurdles! And, the triple jump is extremely stressful on young knee joints. NOT TOO MANY DEATHS THOUGH! So, should we get rid of the hurdles and triple jump? Gum should also be eliminate then since one could potentially choke to death while chewing it; heaven forbid don't run and chew gum. Sarcasm has two sides to it. NOT SURE IF YOU KNOW WHAT THE WORD SARCASM MEANS -I AM STILL WAITING FOR YOU TO PROVIDE AN EXAMPLE FROM PREVIOUS POSTS.

The fact of the matter is pole vaulting is still a track event. It is also known, however, that most track coaches are not knowledgeable in teaching proper technique in the vault. That is certainly no excuse! But a fact. Pole vaulting has been and to some degree is still a self taught event or taught by preceding vaulters to a next generation. But unlike most track events, there seems to be more camaraderie at the pole vault. Vaulters are very willing to share what they know with one another. THE BLIND LEADING THE BLIND IN MOST CASES. Having coached multiple events, HOW ABOUT A DECATHLETE TO THE OLYMPIC GAMES? there have been few times when the high jumpers or shot putters gather to discuss their events and technique. Which brings me to my point. I don't believe the pole vault is as difficult an event to learn contrary to what some individuals would have you believe. For years women were excluded from pole vaulting. However, since their inclusion, I believe they are the best thing to happen to the event. Prior, the event was seen more as one that required great strength to be successful. But since women have been vaulting, it should be more apparent that there is tremendous developed skill and technique involved. THANKS FOR THE HOMILY BUT I SUSPECT - CANNOT BE SURE - THAT I HAVE COACHED AS MANY GIRLS IN THIS EVENT FROM THE TIME IT WAS INTRODUCED UNTIL 2004, WHEN I RETIRED FROM COACHING, AS ANYONE ON THE PLANET.

Of course whenever you're in the air there is a potential for injury OR DEATH - AS HAS OCCURRED ON SEVERAL OCCASIONS IN THE USA and that should be respected. INDEED IT SHOULD However, understanding a few basics will make it safer. All coaches who have some expertise in the pole vault started somewhere learning the event and so can any athlete. Technical Information regarding the pole vault is readily available. For example, every high school track coaches' library should include the textbook and DVD entitled "Beginner to Bubka and Isabiyava too" (sp). THANKS FOR THE COMMERCIAL!

So foreverforum8, I applaud you for making an attempt here at PVW to become a more proficient vaulter. IF YOU REALLY BELIEVE THAT HELPING A GUY WITH NO COACH TO IMPROVE HIS SPEED IN THIS EVENT IS A GOOD IDEA THEN BECCA NEEDS TO TAKE A LOOK AT HER AIMS I'm not aware of a hurdling web site so, be very careful when considering that event (oh, by the way, that was also sarcasm). And yes, one can spend a lifetime trying to avoid potential dangers or, one can spend a lifetime having faith that an accident will only happen because it was meant to be.
I HOPE THAT THE AIRLINE PILOTS I FLY WITH DONT OPERATE WITH THAT PHILOSOPHY - THAT THEY CONTINUALLY PLAN. PREPARE AND PRACTICE TO AVOID ACCIDENTS - BUT I SUPPOSE IF ALLAH WILLS IT -WHAT CAN ONE DO?
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

foreverforum8
PV Wannabe
Expertise: high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 12'6
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: mark hollis

Unread postby foreverforum8 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:05 pm

altius wrote:
vquestpvc wrote:Attend any high school dual meet, invitational or state meet and see where most of the falls and injuries occur." It isn't in the pole vault. Most track injuries occur in the hurdles! And, the triple jump is extremely stressful on young knee joints. NOT TOO MANY DEATHS THOUGH! So, should we get rid of the hurdles and triple jump? Gum should also be eliminate then since one could potentially choke to death while chewing it; heaven forbid don't run and chew gum. Sarcasm has two sides to it. NOT SURE IF YOU KNOW WHAT THE WORD SARCASM MEANS -I AM STILL WAITING FOR YOU TO PROVIDE AN EXAMPLE FROM PREVIOUS POSTS.

The fact of the matter is pole vaulting is still a track event. It is also known, however, that most track coaches are not knowledgeable in teaching proper technique in the vault. That is certainly no excuse! But a fact. Pole vaulting has been and to some degree is still a self taught event or taught by preceding vaulters to a next generation. But unlike most track events, there seems to be more camaraderie at the pole vault. Vaulters are very willing to share what they know with one another. THE BLIND LEADING THE BLIND IN MOST CASES. Having coached multiple events, HOW ABOUT A DECATHLETE TO THE OLYMPIC GAMES? there have been few times when the high jumpers or shot putters gather to discuss their events and technique. Which brings me to my point. I don't believe the pole vault is as difficult an event to learn contrary to what some individuals would have you believe. For years women were excluded from pole vaulting. However, since their inclusion, I believe they are the best thing to happen to the event. Prior, the event was seen more as one that required great strength to be successful. But since women have been vaulting, it should be more apparent that there is tremendous developed skill and technique involved. THANKS FOR THE HOMILY BUT I SUSPECT - CANNOT BE SURE - THAT I HAVE COACHED MORE GIRLS IN THIS EVENT FROM THE TIME IT WAS INTRODUCED UNTIL 2004, WHEN I RETIRED FROM COACHING, THAN ANYONE ON THE PLANET.

Of course whenever you're in the air there is a potential for injury OR DEATH - AS HAS OCCURRED ON SEVERAL OCCASIONS IN THE USA and that should be respected. INDEED IT SHOULD However, understanding a few basics will make it safer. All coaches who have some expertise in the pole vault started somewhere learning the event and so can any athlete. Technical Information regarding the pole vault is readily available. For example, every high school track coaches' library should include the textbook and DVD entitled "Beginner to Bubka and Isabiyava too" (sp). THANKS FOR THE COMMERCIAL!

So foreverforum8, I applaud you for making an attempt here at PVW to become a more proficient vaulter. IF YOU REALLY BELIEVE THAT HELPING A GUY WITH NO COACH TO IMPROVE HIS SPEED IN THIS EVENT IS A GOOD IDEA THEN BECCA NEEDS TO TAKE A LOOK AT HER AIMS I'm not aware of a hurdling web site so, be very careful when considering that event (oh, by the way, that was also sarcasm). And yes, one can spend a lifetime trying to avoid potential dangers or, one can spend a lifetime having faith that an accident will only happen because it was meant to be.
I HOPE THAT THE AIRLINE PILOTS I FLY WITH DONT OPERATE WITH THAT PHILOSOPHY - THAT THEY CONTINUALLY PLAN. PREPARE AND PRACTICE TO AVOID ACCIDENTS - BUT I SUPPOSE IF ALLAH WILLS IT -WHAT CAN ONE DO?

Im very confused altius because airline pilots do plan, practice and prepare for a crash/crash landing...?

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:33 am

Go for it old son! As my old grandma used to to say "A man convinced against his will will be of the same opinion still". The way you are going you will get plenty of opportunities to deal with accidents - just hope you survive them.

vquestpvc
PV Whiz
Expertise: 30 years
Favorite Vaulter: Stacy Dragilia

Unread postby vquestpvc » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:29 am

Negativity only breeds negativity! One of the main purposes of sports is to develop a sense of confidence whereby fostering a positive self esteem (thank you Freud) so throughout life one has that base to draw from when making greater life decisions. "Step on a crack, break your mother's back"!

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:43 pm

vquestpvc wrote:Negativity only breeds negativity! One of the main purposes of sports is to develop a sense of confidence whereby fostering a positive self esteem (thank you Freud) so throughout life one has that base to draw from when making greater life decisions. "Step on a crack, break your mother's back"!

Ah. Thanks. Always enjoyed a bit of philosophy!

Perhaps you would like to reread Chapter 4 of BTB2 - especially the final section "Attitude is the key to safety" - or even read the preface or even the introductory chapter to my latest book on teaching sports - it raises those issues. Send you a copy of either if you like. In another chapter of that book -which is still being edited for the publishers - it makes the point that the most important duty of a teacher or a coach is to ensure the safety - both mental and physical - of their charges. So we should never encourage folk to do stupid things -especially in an event which was riding on the edge of survival at high school level a few years ago when three young American vaulters were killed in the space of one month.

vquestpvc
PV Whiz
Expertise: 30 years
Favorite Vaulter: Stacy Dragilia

Unread postby vquestpvc » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:06 pm

There's apple and then there's oranges. Oh, and there's the purpose of sports and a purpose of coaches. Not exactly sure what you read? And not exactly sure what you thought i meant? Hope your book is a great success Old Boy.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:34 am

vquestpvc wrote:There's apple and then there's oranges. Oh, and there's the purpose of sports and a purpose of coaches. Not exactly sure what you read? And not exactly sure what you thought i meant? Hope your book is a great success Old Boy.

i doubt you know what you mean by this drivel.

However basically what you were saying was that because I discouraged an obviously novice vaulter from trying to increase their runway speed I was being negative -something no coach should do - in your opinion. The fact is that this is a theme I have pursued ever since my first visit to Reno - not long after those accidents I mentioned earlier - where I saw an overemphasis on speed instead of sound technique. And how can anyone set out to encourage a vaulter to improve their speed, when they have not the slightest idea of how good the latter are technically, how high they have jumped, what poles they use, what their physical parameters are, how long they have been vaulting, how often they can train etc etc?

Clearly you are out of your depth here OLD SON - so this is the end of the debate as far as I am concerned, although I am certain you cannot - will not - let it drop. Although I suspect Becca will shut it off anyway.

foreverforum8
PV Wannabe

Unread postby foreverforum8 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:34 am

altius wrote:
vquestpvc wrote:There's apple and then there's oranges. Oh, and there's the purpose of sports and a purpose of coaches. Not exactly sure what you read? And not exactly sure what you thought i meant? Hope your book is a great success Old Boy.

i doubt you know what you mean by this drivel.

However basically what you were saying was that because I discouraged an obviously novice vaulter from trying to increase their runway speed I was being negative -something no coach should do - in your opinion. The fact is that this is a theme I have pursued ever since my first visit to Reno - not long after those accidents I mentioned earlier - where I saw an overemphasis on speed instead of sound technique. And how can anyone set out to encourage a vaulter to improve their speed, when they have not the slightest idea of how good the latter are technically, how high they have jumped, what poles they use, what their physical parameters are, how long they have been vaulting, how often they can train etc etc?

Clearly you are out of your depth here OLD SON - so this is the end of the debate as far as I am concerned, although I am certain you cannot - will not - let it drop. Although I suspect Becca will shut it off anyway.

I wouldn't really call myself a complete novice vaulter...iv cleared 13'6 which I personally wouldn't call a novice height. I feel I am expirenced enough to vault safely. I know what's safe and what's not

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:57 am

good morning... ff8

i would like to post some step by step practice runs you can do on the track...

so how many steps and how long is your run when you are jumping at your PR of 13-6..

ie.... 6 lefts/12 steps start 65 feet?.. 7 lefts/15 steps start 74 feet?

My 12 step/6 left run is apprx 63/64 feet…

My first step is 3-2 my second step 3-9 third is 4-1… so I set them up on the track with a measuring tape and with cones like this…….

0..+3-2..+3-7 (6-9)…

0….3-2….6-9….10-10….15-3….20-0….25-0….30….35….40….45….50….55..........64box

The 55 to 64 is a 9 foot distance from the takeoff to the box… I put a towel there for a place to simulate a plant into…

If you will post your total run distance from the box and the number of steps… I can give you a "close" step pattern to practice, on the track, and get more constant and hopefully faster…

practicing the runs on the track will help you "ingrain" the rhythm, speed, posture etc into your system so you can perform betting on the runway… as you get faster the steps will become proportionately longer but have the same "feel"

As you get faster you should be capable of jumping higher…….

I have used this process for 40 years with pole vaulters and long jumpers… you find the best run they can run on the track… set the pattern with the cones and then practice, correctly, that pattern every day as part of the "warm-up" and your approach run technique and speed will become better.

dj

foreverforum8
PV Wannabe

Unread postby foreverforum8 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:38 pm

dj wrote:good morning... ff8

i would like to post some step by step practice runs you can do on the track...

so how many steps and how long is your run when you are jumping at your PR of 13-6..

ie.... 6 lefts/12 steps start 65 feet?.. 7 lefts/15 steps start 74 feet?

My 12 step/6 left run is apprx 63/64 feet…

My first step is 3-2 my second step 3-9 third is 4-1… so I set them up on the track with a measuring tape and with cones like this…….

0..+3-2..+3-7 (6-9)…

0….3-2….6-9….10-10….15-3….20-0….25-0….30….35….40….45….50….55..........64box

The 55 to 64 is a 9 foot distance from the takeoff to the box… I put a towel there for a place to simulate a plant into…

If you will post your total run distance from the box and the number of steps… I can give you a "close" step pattern to practice, on the track, and get more constant and hopefully faster…

practicing the runs on the track will help you "ingrain" the rhythm, speed, posture etc into your system so you can perform betting on the runway… as you get faster the steps will become proportionately longer but have the same "feel"

As you get faster you should be capable of jumping higher…….

I have used this process for 40 years with pole vaulters and long jumpers… you find the best run they can run on the track… set the pattern with the cones and then practice, correctly, that pattern every day as part of the "warm-up" and your approach run technique and speed will become better.

dj

well i have a MID mark at 43 and i assume thats 3 lefts to my mid? im not sure tho so if thats 3 lefts my whole run is 7 lefts i beleive....from "7" lefts my starting spot is 98 feet

tsorenson
PV Pro
Expertise: masters vaulter, former college vaulter, volunteer HS/club coach, fan, parent

Unread postby tsorenson » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:09 pm

For all the banter, nobody has answered your question. DJ's suggestion of pole runs is good. In addition, top speed is best developed by resistance/assistance:

Resistance: Sprinting up short grassy hills, or on the field while dragging a tire. Ask your head track coach and/or football coach if they have any resistance equipment like bungees or tires with waist straps. I like to do these with a pole, about 50 yards on the football field. Focus on your posture, controlling the pole, and pushing hard with high knees. Resistance trains your body to push harder than you normally would.

Assistance: Sprinting down a short grassy hill, or on the field using a bungee tied to another runner or the goal posts. Don't try it with just any bungee...they make them specifically for this purpose. Assistance trains your body to turn over faster than it normally would.

Combining resistance/assistance teaches you to push harder AND turn over faster. This kind of training is pretty advanced and can result in injury if you don't warm up properly, have crappy running form, or if you use monkey-rigged equipment. Get help from a sprinting coach. The best way is to use the bungee system with a partner; one guy sprints out in front with resistance, then the second guy starts a few seconds later and gets assistance.
http://youtu.be/Dg5acSkjxsI

For the price, sprinting up/down grassy hills with a moderate grade, and doing measured pole runs on the track or football field can't be beat.

Good luck,
Tom

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:53 pm

hey

the two Best speed and technical development exercises are

one: pulling a weighted sled... but don't go to heavy with the weight.. 25lbs week one.. 20 week two 15 week three, 10 and then 5lbs

3 x 6 x 40 meters twice a week

Two: sprinting up 20 bleacher steps... 3 x 6 times twice a week..

dj

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”