Drills for form and habits

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
pvcolt
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14'9"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Dean Starkey

Re: Drills for form and habits

Unread postby pvcolt » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:17 am

dougb wrote:Steps are loud is a good thing!

I assumed that the steps were loud because of striding and running flat. Is the noise good because I'm clawing?

Also I notice that the vaulters on stabhochsprung kick their feet up to their hands and then do a bubka-esque maneuver along the pole. Does this happen naturally as I focus on getting my left hand to my chest or do I need to focus specifically on getting my feet to my hands so I can execute the bubka action?
“The secret ingredient to my secret noodle soup is.... There is no secret ingredient.”

crayford
PV Fan
Lifetime Best: 14'3"

Unread postby crayford » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:13 pm

pvcolt wrote:Also I notice that the vaulters on stabhochsprung kick their feet up to their hands and then do a bubka-esque maneuver along the pole. Does this happen naturally as I focus on getting my left hand to my chest or do I need to focus specifically on getting my feet to my hands so I can execute the bubka action?

Not a professional here, but I know for me it was the latter of the two; I needed to focus on, get this, not getting my feet to my hands, but the feeling of the rope drill :star: I did rope swing inversions about 15 times before my warm-ups in practice and when I focused on the same muscle feelings, I got the results I wanted on the runway!

I don't know exactly what you mean by "left hand to my chest," because if you focus on and train your PLANT and SWING, your hands will do what is natural and end up in the same places as those of the pros on Stabhochsprung; also, if you swing great enough, the "feet to hand" stage will also come naturally.
Hips to nips

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Unread postby AVC Coach » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:44 pm

What might seem "natural" might not always be correct. That's how most bad habits are formed. Developing bad habbits then repeating those bad habbits over and over, no matter how natural it feels, won't get you looking like the guys on stabhochsprung.

Pvcolt, after watching your video it looks like you're rowing your bottom hand to your left hip pocket. I don't think you're problem is looking at the bar, it's what you're doing with that bottom hand. I also believe that when you correct the hand motion, your looking at the bar problem will solve itself.

pvcolt
PV Newbie

Unread postby pvcolt » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:37 pm

Still keeping my hand near my left pocket but I feel like I'm staying closer to the bar.
http://www.youtube.com/user/polevaultcolt?feature=mhum
“The secret ingredient to my secret noodle soup is.... There is no secret ingredient.”

bel142
PV Pro
Expertise: Open Post Collegiate, Collegiate Coach, BS - Kinesiology, MEd - Advanced Level Coaching

Unread postby bel142 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:13 pm

In terms of habits, make it a habit to clear the pit of any and all objects on or around it while jumping, this includes poles, and training partners. A spiked pole is a $300 - $600 mistake, a spiked shoe to your team mate will probably end your friendship...

In terms of the jumping, I think you need a smaller pole in terms of length and stiffness for this 3L approach, to get used to the timing of moving on a pole. If I were you, I would get rid of the bungee or throw it up to 4.60 to try and get your toes on it... The goal is, we want to get you to the pole, and then move up the pole, while being inline with the pole...

Just some things to think about.

pvcolt
PV Newbie

Unread postby pvcolt » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:50 pm

A little update for anyone that cares/has a similar question to mine. After working through some of these problems I made 14' with a 14' 175. (I weigh 160). It literally starts with the run. After looking at DJs chart and seeing a 10' 8" take off was necessary I did some drills to speed up into my penultimate and have a quick powerful last few steps. At the meet I took off at 10' 8", and cleared it. I've gone from 11' to 14' now and the seasons almost half over. What can hard work do for you? I hope I've inspired someone :D

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:59 pm

Nice work pvcolt! :yes:

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”