Getting my butt up

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: Getting my butt up

Unread postby KirkB » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:40 am

noobar wrote:
KirkB wrote: I see you refer to "a great rockback". But in the Petrov/Bubka model, THERE IS NO ROCKBACK! :idea:
... can u explain me this with some pic or videos

It's hard to explain something that's NOT with a pic or vid. The definition of a rockback that I use is one in which you hesitate for a few video frames in the "flat back" position ... aka a "tuck" ... then shoot out of it. Bubka doesn't do this ... he passes THRU the flat back position in a single frame ... thus, there is no rockback!

Keep in mind tho, that a broader definition of "rockback" can include the general idea of swinging to an inversion ... so in that context, there IS a rockback. However, if someone says "rockback" and they really mean "swing to inversion", then why not just call it "swing to inversion"? :confused:

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Re: Getting my butt up

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:56 pm

To me, a "rockback" makes me think of a pause after "rocking back" before you pull. There should be no pause, and your hips should continue to move the entire time you are inverting and flying away. First, your hips should swing around the pole (what some would call the rock back stage of the swing), then, straight up the pole. As soon as you feel yourself "in line" with the pole, it is appropriate to begin pulling with your arms. But not until you feel yourself completely in line with it.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”