What it takes to get on a longer pole

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
rockstarPV
PV Newbie

Unread postby rockstarPV » Thu May 31, 2007 2:31 am

hi [:
well, i have the same problem with pole height and weight.
im on a 12'4 125lbs holding at 12'.. and it is WAAAAY to soft for me..
so i figured that if i went to a 13'6 130-145 that i would be able to do more with it, instead of blow threw it like nothing.

i know i need more speed, and maybe some strength.. im working on it. [:

any advice on if i should move to a heavier weight than what i am orrr... a longer pole...?

:D thanks!
Girls that can work a pole can blow you out. [;

pvfire
PV Beginner

Unread postby pvfire » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:02 am

The general rule is that the lower you hold on a pole the stiffer it will be which explains landing close to the box. The higher grip softens the pole and makes it harder to penetrate. You might be rushing your vault holding lower and then actually driving and penetrating when you hold higher which would explain your situation.

To answer the first question to move up any length of pole you have to work on 3 things.
1. Mark consistency, since a higher grip/longer pole moves the mark out and an inside take off will make it harder to roll the pole over.
2. Speed/Acceleration through take-off
3. A large press up through the shoulders and a very quick final step to create 'pop' and a proper jumping angle.

Once you get to about 30 pounds over your weight with a pole then you should try to move up a length.

carbonvaulter5
PV Wannabe

Unread postby carbonvaulter5 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:00 pm

The legnth of the pole doesn't matter. In practice we put the bungie at 16' and I get my body over it using the same legnth pole you do. I am also on a pole that's 55lbs above my weight. It's alll technique and speed does help

htheodore
PV Whiz

Unread postby htheodore » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:34 pm

Carbonvaulter5. Let me get this straight. You are jumping on a 13-6 pole and rolling over 16'? THAT IS INCREDIBLE. What is the weight of the pole? How much do you weigh? Very impressive. What did you jump in the season? Where in Texas do you go to school?

Ethan
PV Fan

Unread postby Ethan » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:43 pm

sooch90 wrote:I'd like to ask a question, (I hope the maker of this thread will not mind).

Does higher grip mean more penetration? I know this sounds silly, but I've found whenever I raise my grip, I begin to blow through it more. For example when I'm on a 13' 7" 150lb pole, holding around 12' 6", I usually land fairly close to the box(not enough for there to be any real danger but some what close). Yet when I raise it to 13', I have my standards buried and I still blow through that pole and hit the bar on the way up.

I've noticed the same thing on the 14' 145lb skypole I use.

So is it just me? Or does raising grip = more penetration?

if your holding 12' 6" on a 13' 7" 150 thats pretty much makes that pole 160-165 and then when you move your hand grip up up the weight moves back down to 150. it is harder to penetrate higher grips but it sounds like you have got enough cause holding lower adds weight to the pole

MacVaulter
PV Beginner

Unread postby MacVaulter » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:32 pm

It's been a while since I've been on here and boy have I improved-13'9"! I'm blowing through on the pole I have now and my 14' 160 lb pole should be arriving in the coming week, just in time for my camp with Rick Bagget. I'm excited!
PR: 13'9"
Poles: 13'6" 160 Pacer FX

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”