Grip width

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
pool_man_007
PV Fan

Grip width

Unread postby pool_man_007 » Sat May 12, 2007 10:23 am

I've been vaulting for six years now, and i've seen many different widths for grips over that time. Some people grip as wide as their entire arm or wider and some grip less than the length of their forearm. I've tried everything and pretty much found a grip that i like, but i'm just curious if there are any advantages/disadvantages to a wider or narrower grip
---------grip it and rip it---------
*~DANGER HIGH VAULTAGE~*

newPVer
PV Pro

Unread postby newPVer » Sun May 13, 2007 3:37 am

wider grip, potentially easier to bend the pole, simple physics. but too far, and your gonna have trouble getting vertical with your bottom arm so far down the pole. to short, and take off usually isnt as clean. its a give and take.

i use right about my arm's length, top hand back, bottom arm is next to my arm pit, perfect for me...
PR- 15-1
Great season, time to top it

txpolevaulter_k25
PV Follower
Expertise: Current college decathlete
Lifetime Best: 15'

Unread postby txpolevaulter_k25 » Sun May 13, 2007 9:58 am

i go with a little wider than my hips
"Bravery is the ability to get the job done when you are scared to death."

RoosterPV25
PV Fan
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Aspiring Elite Vaulter, High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 5.40

Unread postby RoosterPV25 » Sun May 13, 2007 10:06 am

Yea, i use my elbow and about three fists...usually though its just what ever feels right when I pick up the pole

Siros
PV Nerd

Unread postby Siros » Sun May 13, 2007 1:07 pm

I'll do somewhere around shoulder width apart. Any closer in and it's uncomfortable and doesn't feel right.

VegasVaulter
PV Newbie

Unread postby VegasVaulter » Sun May 13, 2007 3:54 pm

Yeah, I'm a first year vaulter, and notice that when I keep my grip to far apart (which I started doing to make it easier to learn how to bend correctly), that the bend in the pole is way too low, and that I knock the bar off on the way up, even if it's something I can clear easily. Then when I move closer, it got harder to keep good technique on the plant, but it allowed me to get vertical much faster and keep better form for later on in the jump. I'm just working on getting used to it right now.
~George
PR: 10'

spill21
PV Nerd

Unread postby spill21 » Sun May 13, 2007 4:07 pm

i get a little wider than shoulders width
J Spillman goes higher...

JTred
PV Whiz

Unread postby JTred » Sun May 13, 2007 9:40 pm

I'm about an elbow and a thumb or two. I've heard that the best width is shoulder width, because that is the highest you can possibly reach your hands. The problem comes when you need a little help bending a stiffer pole.

newPVer
PV Pro

Unread postby newPVer » Sun May 13, 2007 11:43 pm

vegas, i think you run into the bar on the way up with a wider grip, because your blowing through the pole, so when you shorten your grip, it doesnt bend as much, making you not roll the pole as much, causing you to go up sooner.

but do what ever works.

but i know i'll never do the for-arm grip, because i;ve never seen anyone jump high like that...
PR- 15-1

Great season, time to top it

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Mon May 14, 2007 6:00 pm

You might do a search on grip width, theres actually an ideal way to measure your grip for your particular grip and your particular hieght. But I know that wider grip does NOT mean MORE bend unless you are doing something wrong. The same amount of energy should be added regardless of grip width, it will just be a little harder to control the closer your grip is. Too wide, and it might be easier to control the bend, but you are loosing functionality through the rest of the jump. Ill find that post, its really helpful to finding your grip width!
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Mon May 14, 2007 6:13 pm

I cant find it, but i know its on here. If anyone knows the equation that was described some time back by i believe either agapit or altius, could you fill us in!! I dont want to get it wrong, but it involves putting your top hand directly over your head with the grip you plan on using. The pole tip should be on the ground at the largest angle possible, therefore as tall as possible. Now i BELIEVE you take your bottom arm and bring your elbow to 90 degrees, and grip your hand up until it meets the pole. That could be wrong, can someone please fill me/us in!!
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

hand width

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Tue May 15, 2007 3:12 pm

That thread said that the tallest position you can be in at take off is with a grip width EQUAL to your shoulder width. To find that width it is one elbow and a fist down from your grip. Ergonomics 101. anything other than this and you will not be your tallest at the plant.

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”