How wide to grip

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
VaultinFool
PV Newbie

How wide to grip

Unread postby VaultinFool » Sat Jun 07, 2003 12:42 am

I was just wondering how far apart your hands should be when holding the pole. I've heard from about making your arms a 90 degree angle to the length of your forearm. Thanks

das_1971
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, bum
Lifetime Best: smthing lo
Favorite Vaulter: Don Pablo Espanol

Unread postby das_1971 » Sat Jun 07, 2003 1:09 am

I use the thumb armpit method. Stretch you top arm back with the pole across your body, put your left thumb in your pit and grap the pole. its about 1 to 2 handgrips wider then shoulder width.
Ow

vaultguru6
PV Pro

Unread postby vaultguru6 » Sat Jun 07, 2003 2:15 am

A more narrow girp will get you inverted better....but you might not penetrate as well. I know you're supposed to push up, not in, but a wider grip, to an extent, does help you move poles. However, i generally go with whatever feels comfortable. My first jumps generally have a wider girp. If i'm moving poles well, then i'll narrow it up and get back on it better.

indestructo
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Former College Coach, Current High School Coach, Post-Collegiate Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 15'6"

Unread postby indestructo » Sat Jun 07, 2003 11:26 am

The grip is an adjustable part of the vault for sure. I generally grab my usual top hand grip, then lay my forearm along the pole and then put my bottom grip one handhold lower then were my elbow is. When I'm moving to a bigger pole, or having problems bending for whatever reason, I'll widen that grip to put a little more into the pole or to help build a little confidence. If I'm having trouble getting inverted then i'll narrow the grip a little to help with that aspect. So there are a few things that can be adjusted with the grip width. Keep that in mind. :D
"Heart"

OAKPV2004
PV Follower

Unread postby OAKPV2004 » Sat Jun 07, 2003 1:12 pm

I guess if you want to be technical a narrow grip is better, bubka had a really narrow grip and he has jumped 20'. But I usually just tape the top hand part of the pole and grab what ever is comfortable. it works for me.

das_1971
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, bum
Lifetime Best: smthing lo
Favorite Vaulter: Don Pablo Espanol

Unread postby das_1971 » Sat Jun 07, 2003 9:05 pm

make sure that whatever hand grip you use, you can go down the runway. If your carry is comfortable, it will be easier concentrate on your run and plant. Us smaller guys can't run too easily with a big pole and small grip.
Anyway, try to stay between about 16 and 26 inches.
Ow

advath
PV Whiz
Expertise: I have coached a 13' high school girl, 17' high school boy, NCAA Champion and number 1 HS sprinters

Unread postby advath » Sun Jun 08, 2003 4:26 pm

Stand under a horizontal bar, jump up and grab the bar with a vault grip.
There you have it. This is an old Vitaly Petrov trick.

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion
Lifetime Best: 5.25m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Jason Hinkin

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Sun Jun 08, 2003 8:20 pm

i lay my bottom arm on the pole with my fingers extended, then butt my fingertips up against my top hand. I grip my bottom hand where the bottom of my elbow is. This gives you a medium grip that is not too wide or too narrow.
PoleVaultPlanet is coming.....

wayupthere
PV Whiz

Unread postby wayupthere » Mon Jun 09, 2003 2:32 am

Dave Roberts and Bob Seagren used to say 18"-24" I usually grip about 24". I used to grip 18" but it was too hard to keep my left arm out like it should and swing. As long as u dont go past 24" i dont think it will hurt ur inversion.
hmmmm

Fo_Sheezy
PV Nerd

Unread postby Fo_Sheezy » Sat Jun 14, 2003 11:33 am

This is how I was taught...reach your right arm up against you ear and put your left arm out at eyebrow level. Thats your grip. I always thought it was too big of a grip though, so now I just do shoulder width which works because I have broad shoulders. Any grip smaller than normal peoples shoulders not only looks weird and feels weird, but I don't do as well. Thats just my opinion though! :D
Hey is that a pole in your hand or are you just happy to see me?

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”