Help getting more inverted

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
Jungm1420
PV Nerd
Expertise: Sophomore High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Help getting more inverted

Unread postby Jungm1420 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:59 am

I just today got 9' in my meet, my new P.R. My form is definitally improving but i need help. I watched some video of my meet and it looks like i can only get inverted to about 110 degree angle up instead of the full 180 so when i extend its out and not up. Is there any good tips to get me more inverted. Ive heard a few like look up at the tip of the pole. Idk if im droping my shoukders. Doubt it thgh. Any suggestions??

Polevaulter2012
PV Whiz
Expertise: Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.90m
Favorite Vaulter: Maksim tarasov

Re: Help getting more inverted

Unread postby Polevaulter2012 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:32 am

Hello there, so it would help to see your video. I am going to guess that your problem is in your run,plant and take-off. Hope to see some video soon. Hard to give advice when you cant really see what is going.

Jungm1420
PV Nerd

Unread postby Jungm1420 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:06 pm

ok. i posted a video on youtube. but i couldnt get an actual video so it is a slideshow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NhLovax624

Polevaulter2012
PV Whiz
Expertise: Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.90m
Favorite Vaulter: Maksim tarasov

Unread postby Polevaulter2012 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:03 pm

So you cant see munch in the pictures, but you need to work on your run,plant, and take-off. As for what I saw in the pictures you are pulling. Which I am guessing because you are under and late with your hands. Also you need to stay tight on top. All this can be improved by fixing what you do on the runway.

Jungm1420
PV Nerd

Unread postby Jungm1420 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:52 pm

alright. i had a college vaulter come help me this weekend and she said my run, plant, and take off were all pretty good. i just was a tad under but we fixed that and i got to where i have a longer trail leg and higher drive knee to swing up. but i have a question with this. i get swung up to where my feet are above my head but then instead up locking my hips up or kicking up when the pole comes unbent i go out instead of up. would this mean i just need to get more core strength or that im doing something wrong?

yoboe
PV Beginner

Unread postby yoboe » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:43 pm

you might still not be getting your feet back enough in relationship to your body. ask your coach how exactly to think about this when your actually in a vault, but if you look at old bubka videos his feet sometimes are well behind his head as he inverts.

i would also keep in mind that because your feet get to your head, they might not stay there and your hips and butt might not follow. i would video youself doing bazillions of short takeoffs from a low grip and working back up to your normal grip. thats what i did to fix it (and im still doing it lol)

Jungm1420
PV Nerd

Unread postby Jungm1420 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:00 pm

alright. so u think i might not just be getting my feet back to my head before i need to pull and shoot up? bc it does seem in the video i do have that my feet only get to about my waist and then i try to go up. so i jus need to work on getting them all the way back to my head first?

Jungm1420
PV Nerd

Unread postby Jungm1420 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:05 pm

alright. i think i know what your talkn about. i went and wtchd some of the pro videos on youtube and it looks like most of them before the pole unbends or they kick up and pull their knees are touching or near their shoulders where mine are still by my waist strait up and down so i cant get my feet to go up correct?

jump!
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14'3"

Unread postby jump! » Fri May 20, 2011 2:17 am

So... not really a helpful comment, just curious. But is this slideshow/video thing from Stockton, MO?

Jungm1420
PV Nerd

Unread postby Jungm1420 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:13 pm

yea actually part of it is.

jump!
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14'3"

Unread postby jump! » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:31 pm

Ha! That's awesome! I knew i recognized that pit... I just graduated from Buffalo High School, and we had our first meet there this year.

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”