Planting under, deep standards?

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
christopher_cochran
PV Fan
Expertise: High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 12'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Mark Hollis

Planting under, deep standards?

Unread postby christopher_cochran » Mon May 09, 2011 10:43 pm

Today was my first day on my new 14' 160 Pacer Carbon Weave pole. The pole has some crazy return on top and i loved it, but i had a consistent problem:
I've always wanted to stretch out my last stride (Jump step) which puts me about two or three shoe lengths under, but with a 13'6" pole i got away with it, not so much with this 14', so i started chopping my last stride off and put me back to about a shoe length under which is the best i've ever done. HOWEVER i thought being under put you in the pit shallow? <Hips so far in already that you swing straight up and go to your back and then go flying straight up over the box.> saw it with EveRy vaulter at MS 6A South State Championships. I, however, for the first time ever RACKED the standards (32" BUNGEE Tailwind) and STILL hit a 13' bungee on the way up!!! What in the world is this? sorry i didn't get video, but i'm running 7 lefts, i weigh about 156lbs, gripping about 13'7" and i only run about a 4.7 40yrd. dash so it's not like i'm blazing in there. Any advice, much abliged!
:yes: :heart:
He must increase, I must decrease...

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Planting under, deep standards?

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon May 09, 2011 11:32 pm

It sounds like you answered your own question? If you take off under, you won't rotate the pole as fast as you will with a good takeoff. You went up poles, which slows you down, but then you got a better takeoff, and now you're landing deeper. You're not blazing fast, but a 14' pole barely over your weight is not that big of a pole.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Tue May 10, 2011 1:17 am

"<Hips so far in already that you swing straight up and go to your back and then go flying straight up over the box.> saw it with EveRy vaulter at MS 6A South State Championships". Now that is a sad story!
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

christopher_cochran
PV Fan

Unread postby christopher_cochran » Tue May 10, 2011 1:30 am

I know everyone jumped at "15" (closer to like 12.5) and the "best kid" couldn't land in the pit; he went straight to his back and I SHOCKED the pole didn't snap. It seemed they were all slow.. nervousness for em I guess. My 12'6"-13' guy jumped 10'6"

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Tue May 10, 2011 2:22 am

Sounds as though they need vaultman18 down there to do a clinic before someone gets killed.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

christopher_cochran
PV Fan

Unread postby christopher_cochran » Tue May 10, 2011 11:23 pm

Here's what i mean by my deepness:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVb291mvPtE

Toward the end my fatigue brought me in a little more shallow but..

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed May 11, 2011 12:04 am

Yeah it looks like despite your mediocre technique, the pole is still getting too small :P What was the weight rating on the 13'6 pole you were on? Were you also landing deep with it?

christopher_cochran
PV Fan

Unread postby christopher_cochran » Wed May 11, 2011 2:15 am

the 13'7" pole i was jumping on was a borrowed 165lbs that i no longer have access to. Some videos of a day on it are also on my youtube channel, HOWEVER i was at 13'2" and about three shoe lengths under whereas now i'm about a shoe and a half under because i'm conciously trying to "chop" my last left--also with 7 lefts instead of 5.
mediocre technique
:
I am not at the strength I wanna be at. I have no lower abdominal nor lumbar, and i do not have my triceps developed for upside down pulling. I work my triceps like crazy, but i just can't seem to pull at that angle. Also, i have no clue how to 'drop my shoulders' to get inverted without going to my back TOO early in the vault...

vcpvcoach
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, Parent

Unread postby vcpvcoach » Wed May 11, 2011 2:55 pm

Ok, what I would change if I was your coach. You have no active pole drop during your run. You keep the pole tip high until the last minute. This leads to a very late plant. A late plant will always put you under at takeoff. Start by working off the runway with a towel.
Because you are under, you have no jump at takeoff. You are letting the pole do all of the work. You need to fix the run and work on jumping at takeoff. Also, plant a stride earlier.

tsorenson
PV Pro
Expertise: masters vaulter, former college vaulter, volunteer HS/club coach, fan, parent

Unread postby tsorenson » Thu May 12, 2011 2:23 am

Get your left elbow down below the level of your wrist, with your left hand centered in your chest, all the way through the run/drop/plant. Carrying the pole way off to your right side is making it impossible for you to get it centered at takeoff.

That pole looks great for you, but you should try jumping on it from 6 lefts, same grip and finish the takeoff (punch the hands up). You should PR pretty quickly.

Good luck,
Tom

Barefoot
PV Whiz
Lifetime Best: 15'

Unread postby Barefoot » Thu May 12, 2011 4:20 pm

Is it my imagination, or is he pulling with the top arm?

christopher_cochran
PV Fan

Unread postby christopher_cochran » Mon May 16, 2011 12:02 pm

Going to vault today with a nice tail wind, but i'm working on three things that you guys have have in summary advised me to do:
1) Try and bring the pole carry in closer and no so far to the right to avoid flailing it all over the place.
2) Work on a more active pole drop so that i do not try to bring the pole straight from vertical into the plant all inside of the last two lefts in hopes of not being so far under.
3) Be sure that i'm not pulling with my top (right) arm but simply hanging with it. :yes:

I also am going to work on dropping my chin and shoulders once the pole begins to uncoil which will hopefully bring my standards from 32" back into around 28" or 27"

I will do my best to get some video footage that is a little less shaky, the guy videoing me last time was vaulting and breathing hard so he was shaking the camera alot. Thanks you guys. This website makes up for only having a coach one day a week! :D

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”