mystic pole too much bend?

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
duhcalvin
PV Wannabe
Expertise: Open vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'

Re: mystic pole too much bend?

Unread postby duhcalvin » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:08 pm

that was my mistake i meant 11'6" i never checked the for the length but i have compared that pole to my pole and it is AT LEAST a foot shorter than the mystic pole. and i just checked the label on the mystic pole it said somnething about this pole may be more flexible than poles produced after september 1st 1999
State of mind is everything

baggettpv
PV Master

Unread postby baggettpv » Sat May 01, 2010 3:04 am

Learn to vault on a stiff pole first.

Rick Baggett
WSTC
Good coaching is good teaching.

xxartanisxx
PV Newbie
Expertise: High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 11-6
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Beano

Unread postby xxartanisxx » Sun May 02, 2010 1:50 am

My advice find a 13-6 or 14' stick of the same weight and bump your grip up a fist and standards in to about 21and you should fly over 11' 6" no problem.

Personally i would aim to stay with pacer brand. The Spirits have a real stiff point lower down on the pole so its significantly harder to jump unless your capping it. And the ESSX poles are crazy easy to bend.

There is no need at all to hold at the top of a pole. I can vault a 14' Bungee holding at 11' on a small stick from a 3 step. Technique matters much more over handgrip. You need to try to close off to your pole more too. What i mean by that is take your right hand and get it next to your crotch and left hand centered on your chest.

The more flexible sticker dont mean crap lol most pacer poles have em. Also check if your holding the stick right when you jump the mystic lettering should be facing away from you when you jump which i wasnt seeing at all in those pictures.

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Sun May 02, 2010 3:04 pm

xxartanisxx wrote: ... I can vault a 14' Bungee holding at 11' on a small stick from a 3 step. Technique matters much more over handgrip. ...

I'm calling you on this. I whole-heartedly agree that TECHNIQUE MATTERS more than grip ... but let's keep it real.

I understand that you're not saying that you're CLEARING that 14-0 bungee without scraping over it ... but you ARE saying that you're scraping over it ... I think that's what you're saying when you say "I can vault a 14-0 bungee". On a THREE-STEP no less! :confused:

If that were true, then I question why your PR is only 11-6? :confused:

If your answer is that you can invert and hook your ankles over the bungee, then pull it down 3 feet to "clear it", then I'm sorry ... I don't call that "vaulting it". :dazed:

Kirk

EDIT: Fixed typo.
Last edited by KirkB on Mon May 03, 2010 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

xxartanisxx
PV Newbie
Expertise: High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 11-6
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Beano

Unread postby xxartanisxx » Sun May 02, 2010 8:17 pm

Heh i see where your coming from, just recently broke my ankle got out of the cast a month before the season started so ive been struggling to get on a decent size stick and run down the runway. Ive gotten over the bungee not dragging it down quite 3'. Main problem for me actually vaulting is im in wisconsin and its cold during all the meets i vault at and half the vaulters up here cant clear 8' so i sit around in the cold for 6 hours then try vaulting. Its significantly harder.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Sun May 02, 2010 11:46 pm

It seems to me XXXX that you have delusions of grandeur - I say again - go back and learn something about this event before you offer advice to others. :no:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Mon May 03, 2010 1:05 am

xxartanisxx wrote: ... half the vaulters up here can't clear 8' so i sit around in the cold for 6 hours then try vaulting. Its significantly harder.

I gotta call you on this one too!

So it takes 6 hours (SIX HOURS?) for the bar to move from 8-0 to 11-6 ... assuming that you pass til then. How many vaulters are there in these marathon comps? Hmm ... :confused:

OK. So how high have you CLEARED a bungee ... or a bar ... in PRACTICE this season, without touching it? :dazed:

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

duhcalvin
PV Wannabe

Unread postby duhcalvin » Fri May 07, 2010 1:02 pm

Hey R.B. so i followed your advice (along with the advice of dave eckes) and i cleared 11' with ease and was extremely close to 11'6" holding at 8" down from the top as opposed to 5" and moved from a 5 step to a six step. The difference was very noticeable. Thank you :)

duhcalvin
PV Wannabe

Unread postby duhcalvin » Sat May 08, 2010 6:24 pm

so in addition to the gripping lower, i moved my standards back (which i forgot to do before friday) and i cleared 11'6" consistently and with ease :) you guys are the best! 11'6" is higher than my top hand on the pole and i cleared it but if i grip up i can't go as high because i think i am blowing through the pole. Seriously something just clicked though i can stay vertical longer and i am going deeper in the pit. I am not sure i will be able to get any higher on this pole though.

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”