my step is way to far inside...

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
Bgruver
PV Newbie
Expertise: Collegiate coach. Second year.
Lifetime Best: 12'8"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

my step is way to far inside...

Unread postby Bgruver » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:17 am

I am a collegiate vaulter, i have been vaulting 12'3". I vault on a 14' 170lb pole holding 2 handgrips down. I use a 7 step approach with fairly good speed... my problem is that i take off way under. I should be taking off 11' from the box but i consistently take off at 9'. i have tried moving my step back incrementally but still hit the 9' mark every time. At our last meet, i started with my step at 87'6" and by the end of the meet had moved it back all the way to 90'.

Does anyone know of any drills or techniques i can use to get my step back out where it should be? this problem is robbing me of a good drive phase, and really robbing me of a couple PR's!

yankee814
PV Nerd
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Hooker

Re: my step is way to far inside...

Unread postby yankee814 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:55 pm

start holding low and 1-step. hold a little higher and 2-step, then repeat at 3-4-5- and eventually 6-and 7 and you're confidence and take off position should be on
Sophomore 2nd year Vaulter

Tincup1215
PV Fan
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter, Former College Coach, High School Coach

Unread postby Tincup1215 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:18 pm

Like what Yankee said, it sounds like your reaching.

I've had the same problems with my guys. If you are reaching, that means you are taking off heel-toe or flat footed which is not good. Keep your run the same, but shorten your last stride, basically like a penultimate step. Do those drills Yankee said and make sure you use a long enough pole so it really forces you to get off the ground. Concentrate on snapping the ball of your foot to the ground instead of going heel-toe. Take off like you would in long jump.

charlie
PV Pro

Unread postby charlie » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:09 am

Pretty simple!! Get David Johnson's mid chart and you WON"T have ANY step problems!!!

bel142
PV Pro
Expertise: Open Post Collegiate, Collegiate Coach, BS - Kinesiology, MEd - Advanced Level Coaching

Unread postby bel142 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:14 am

I honestly disagree with chalie... Yep, the chart is useful, but unfortunately it is not the immaculate step corrector. Learning how not to lean back and reach for that last step does take some time, and that is what you need to focus on.

Spend some time on your pole drop timing, sprint technique and sprint body position. Also you are probably used to the feeling of driving off the runway into an already bending pole. Simple slow walking wall plants with a stubie, while focusing on hitting the wall when your step is on, and your body is past vertical really helps.

The feeling of body extension and then pole impact is what you need to learn. If you just back up your step to where it is on, you are going to have a difficult time, perception-ally (spelling?), taking off. So learning to deal with that delay before pole hit is what you also need to learn. Thinking about the timing of jump/hit will help. For that 'jump/hit' to happen you cannot be leaning backwards.

just some quick thoughts
-bel

Erica
PV Whiz
Expertise: Olympian

Unread postby Erica » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:33 am

Try using the "magic towel." Put a towel on the runway about a foot in front of where your takeoff should be. Trying to take off from behind the towel will help your perception of where you should be taking off from. When you get used to taking off from behind the towel, remove the towel and try to replicate the same takeoff. This will take some repetition and focus, but will give you the right idea where the takeoff should be.

yankee814
PV Nerd
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Hooker

Unread postby yankee814 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:35 am

Erica wrote:Try using the "magic towel." Put a towel on the runway about a foot in front of where your takeoff should be. Trying to take off from behind the towel will help your perception of where you should be taking off from. When you get used to taking off from behind the towel, remove the towel and try to replicate the same takeoff. This will take some repetition and focus, but will give you the right idea where the takeoff should be.

:yes: but be careful, on the takeof you should not be looking down at the box or the runway!
Sophomore 2nd year Vaulter

christopher_cochran
PV Fan
Expertise: High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 12'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Mark Hollis

Unread postby christopher_cochran » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:04 pm

Erica has a point, she gave me this advice and i never jumped without my take off "pacifier" at practice for about two weeks. I've now removed it but have gotten faster down the run way so i simply moved my steps back half of the distance that i was missing my mark by. (for instance i was TWO SHOE LENGTHS under from 7 lefts so i moved my run back one shoe length and i hit it. :D ) I went from 11' bar clearance all season to a 13' bungee clearance yesterday. I also had a problem swaying the pole back and forth when i ran too, but by using my elbow for that arm movement which also allowed me to get my pole "up" earlier, I've gotten faster down the runway without having to reach my last stride. Thanks everyone for helping me.
He must increase, I must decrease...

capital_kid1
PV Newbie
Lifetime Best: 8'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby capital_kid1 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:41 pm

i had the same problem, so what helped for me was adding another stride (to pick up more speed) and then picking up my knees before i hit my turn over. i ran a five step from 59' for a while, and realized i wasn't getting enough speed so i moved back like ten feet and went to a six. then my first three steps i picked up my knees and pushed out the back, and then my fourth fifth and sixth steps were so much faster going into my takeoff, and i started getting my foot down way quicker.
"We do not take counsel of our fears, our naysayers, or the unknown" -- Chris Petersen

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”