bottom arm plant help

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
michaelcantu88
PV Newbie
Expertise: former highschool vaulter,current college vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14'3
Favorite Vaulter: toby stevenson

bottom arm plant help

Unread postby michaelcantu88 » Mon May 18, 2009 1:34 am

ok so ya when i plant i cant seem to get my bot arm straight. im strong for my wieght im 5 10 130 and benched 190 so idk if its strength or what. could i get some drills to help this and is there any tricks to it? do i need more srength?
leave nothing

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: bottom arm plant help

Unread postby KirkB » Mon May 18, 2009 2:17 am

You may be thinking that you should "keep your bottom arm straight" in order to provide some resistance against the pole ... in order to bend it.

This is NOT TRUE!

If you're trying to do the TUCK/SHOOT model, then yes ... straight bottom arm all the way to the tuck. Personally, I don't recommend you try to jump that way. :no:

It's very difficult to do, and this technique is loaded with booby traps. Unless you have a really, really good coach that can steer you around these traps, stick with the Petrov Model.

With the Petrov Model, the technique is easier to learn, and easier to coach. Heck, your coach just needs to buy BTB2, and follow it page by page! ;) Well, OK, it's not QUITE that simple.

But what reference book does a tuck/shoot vaulter or coach have? :confused:

In the Petrov Model, you just have to stretch your bottom arm as high as you can, to get the best pole angle on takeoff. But once the pole hits the box (arguably just before or just after), you shouldn't hold your bottom arm stiff with the elbow straight.

Mike, it sounds like you already have sufficient strength to hold the weight of the pole up as high as you can reach. That's all that's needed! :yes:

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

yankee814
PV Nerd
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Hooker

Unread postby yankee814 » Mon May 18, 2009 7:13 pm

I have another question in regards to this:

When my bottom hand stays completely rigid at the takeoff, I get a large pressure right in the middle of my rib cage that feels as though there is a vice there. But when I bend it slightly at take off, It doesn't happen

Why?
Sophomore 2nd year Vaulter

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Mon May 18, 2009 7:17 pm

Abdominal stability/compensation...

Right?
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

yankee814
PV Nerd

Unread postby yankee814 » Mon May 18, 2009 10:23 pm

I may have found my answer:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8610699280052593028 about 14:45-15:15

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Tue May 19, 2009 2:36 pm

I'm no muscular-skeletal systems expert, but I really just think it's the big shock of muscular compensation (for stability)... That is, your body is trying to keep itself 'balanced' (for lack of a better word) and the muscles there are weak/tired/injured/overused.

Just a guess though...

I don't see how the David Butler vid has anything to do with what you're talking about with your chest, unless you left something out?
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

yankee814
PV Nerd

Unread postby yankee814 » Tue May 19, 2009 10:53 pm

the part about helping you bend the pole but not help to swing, thats my answer for if it should stay rigid or a little flexible. Also his guy has his arm slightly bent

The muscle stability thing: how would I go about correcting that? Is it something I should go to the doctor for or just let it ride out and see what happens?

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Wed May 20, 2009 2:39 am

yankee814 wrote: When my bottom hand stays completely rigid at the takeoff, I get a large pressure right in the middle of my rib cage that feels as though there is a vice there. But when I bend it slightly at take off, It doesn't happen

Why?

This isn't normal. Maybe you broke a rib, but didn't realize it? So only when you make your bottom arm rigid, it stresses your rib?

Just a guess.

Or maybe your body is subtly telling you not keep your bottom arm rigid? :D

You could see a Dr. about this, but all he's going to do is tell you to lay off sports and let it heal. I'm no Dr., so it's up to you. If you're not prepared to follow his advice, don't go! :D Lest your parents tell you to heed his orders. If I were you, I just wouldn't press with the bottom arm. :D

Maybe not the most cautious advice I've ever given, but I doubt that the injury (if that's what it is) is that serious. BUT ... if it gets any worse, I'd have it checked out.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

yankee814
PV Nerd

Unread postby yankee814 » Wed May 20, 2009 10:38 pm

Thanks Kirk, but even if I have no injury (which I felt fine during practice today), am I supposed to keep my arm rigid or bent. This confuses me a lot because people tell me if you keep your arm rigid you "block out." So whats correct?!

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Wed May 20, 2009 11:08 pm

While still on the ground, your bottom arm should apply no pressure. However once off the ground, you can put pressure upwards with both hands.

this does NOT mean you need both arms locked. But also try to avoid the pole moving behind you just because your bottom arm is so relaxed. If you think about staying behind the pole after you leave the ground, your hands and arms should do exactly what they need to- be long and be moving the pole upwards and forwards. In this regard, as long as your top hand doesnt not fly behind your head at take off, you are applying enough pressure with your bottom hand.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”