need help on push off

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
michaelcantu88
PV Newbie
Expertise: former highschool vaulter,current college vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14'3
Favorite Vaulter: toby stevenson

need help on push off

Unread postby michaelcantu88 » Sat May 16, 2009 11:44 pm

well like the title says i need help on my push off(what i like to call throw). im 5 10 130 and use a 14 155 pacerfx. when i use my 13 pole(150 ucs) i can usual get a decent 6 inch push but im not to consistent. could u help wit some advice to be consistent with that and some drills to help me learn how to better. also i wanna push(throw) like toby stevenson i like his top end and realy do my best when i vault kinda like him oppsed to taking off my botton hand and using top hand cause i tend to drop my hips. if your could help that be awesome thank you!
leave nothing

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: need help on push off

Unread postby KirkB » Sun May 17, 2009 3:38 am

If you're only getting a 6" pushoff, then it's futile to be worrying about your "push" (or "throw", as you call it).

What exactly is it that you're trying to throw? Your body? :confused:

michaelcantu88 wrote:i tend to drop my hips

With only this information to go by, I'm quite sure your hips are dropping because the bottom half of your vault needs vast improvement.

Your hips are probably dropping because you've simple ran out of vertical momentum. Your CoM (Center of Mass) can only take you as high as your momentum from your swing/extension will carry you. While there may be some room for improvement in your extension, I would focus on the DOWNswing first (and possibly even the run/plant/takeoff).

Once you're getting over a 1-2 foot pushoff from your SWING, then it's time to work on your EXTENSION. And then once you get over 2-3 feet from you EXTENSION, you can BEGIN to think about your "push" or "throw". Unless your SWING and EXTENSION give you a bigger pushoff, you can't gain much height by adding anything more to the top half of your vault. It's not the right focus.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”