Inconsistent Run

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
Greero
PV Newbie

Inconsistent Run

Unread postby Greero » Mon May 11, 2009 7:10 pm

So Its a week before regionals and the last few times ive practiced i just cant get my approach right. It is so inconsistent and each time i run and feel so off that i stop and dont plant. it doesnt help that i get beyond frustraited after running without jumping countless times. Do i just need to do countless poleruns or is there anything else i can do to get my approach back in time for reigionals

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Inconsistent Run

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon May 11, 2009 8:30 pm

Greero wrote:So Its a week before regionals and the last few times ive practiced i just cant get my approach right. It is so inconsistent and each time i run and feel so off that i stop and dont plant. it doesnt help that i get beyond frustraited after running without jumping countless times. Do i just need to do countless poleruns or is there anything else i can do to get my approach back in time for reigionals

Do you have any video of yourself vaulting?

How many steps are you running from? How high is your grip? What is your PR?

Pole runs are certainly a good place to start. Do them with a tape measure so you know where your steps are when you run naturally. When you take it back to the vault runway (don't forget to account for the pole and box), move a foot or two closer to the pit, because you won't be as aggressive when running toward the pit as you are when running on the track.

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Mon May 11, 2009 8:53 pm

Stop trying to force yourself to do something 'big'...

Grab a tiny pole, use a tiny grip, and a short run. Just run, plant, jump, and stay behind the pole... Move back as your confidence increases.

Also check out dj's midmark chart. :yes:
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

Greero
PV Newbie

Unread postby Greero » Tue May 12, 2009 9:39 pm

I do have video but its on an old vhs recorder and i havent figured out how to get it onto my computer yet. Im holding the top of a 13' 170 skypole from 6 lefts. I am just under 6' and my pr is 11'.

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”