Eastern Michigan University New Indoor Track

A forum to discuss anything related to Michigan

Moderator: rainbowgirl28

Eastern Michigan University New Indoor Track

Unread postby Karma » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:40 pm

Hi all,

Just announcing that the new indoor track at Eastern Michigan University is complete and open. For those who didn't know, our old track was flooded due to an underground water main break. As a result, the entire fieldhouse floor was removed down to bare earth and built back up with a brand new indoor track.

The new track is incredible. It is a Tartan surface, and one of the best I have ever seen. We had originally planned on replacing the old mondo surface but opted for Tartan at the last minute. I had been disappointed until seeing and running on this new surface. It's one of the fastest indoor runways I have ever been on.

Additionally, after constantly hounding the AD at EMU, he finally gave in just 2 days ago and gave the ok for new UCS vault pits! We should have them in place in a few weeks.

Due to the delay in construction, we had to cancel a few meets, but are still hosting the Feb 10th meet in 2 weeks. This is an open meet (collegiate and above) and I believe the opening height will be 12' or 13' (I think 12'). We have at least one masters level vaulter competing in the meet unattached and encourage more to come.

This is the same fieldhouse that Jen Stuczinski set her pr last year, but with a full makeover.

Although I couldn't plan any special vault activities this season due to the uncertainty of the completion date of the track, I will be setting up a few special Vault competitions next indoor season. I will be hosting another full 3-month developmental vault clinic this summer and am planning on hosting a follow-on 3 month fall clinic as well next year.

I'll try to figure out how to post some pics of the new surface soon.
PR: 17'1"
Pole Used: 15' 175 spirit
EMU Pole Vault Coach

BethelPV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Billy Olson

Unread postby BethelPV » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:56 pm

Hey do you have any pictures of what it looks like? Just wondering what the changes look like! :)
Vault with a purpose... Vault for God!!

mcminkz05
PV Great
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:49 am

I'll tell you what Zach it is amazing compared to what it was. Same color scheme, got rid of the old wooden bleachers on the sides so the fieldhouse is a bit wider, vault runway is in pretty much the same spot with 2 long jump runways parallel to it on the infield. High jump is in the middle of the infield and throws are in the same spot. Of course everything is extremely clean and looks pretty stunning right now since it is brand new. Hopefully you will have a chance to get down here and vault sometime this season! By the way how is the season going for you so far?
What have you done today to get better?

skyshark177
PV Pro
Expertise: College Coach

Unread postby skyshark177 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:12 am

I have some video of the vaulters from the first meet there, this past Saturday. I'll try and post them this afternoon.

skyshark177
PV Pro
Expertise: College Coach

Unread postby skyshark177 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:09 pm

some vids of the new track:

All of the ground is Tarten track.
The lanes and runways are Brick red and the rest is green.
It's pretty fast!!

I recorded two of the Vaulters.

Kevin:
http://home.comcast.net/~skyshark177/images/MOV00468.MPG

Phil:
http://home.comcast.net/~skyshark177/images/MOV00475.MPG

Hope it works fore everyone.
if not, just right click and Save as Target and download it to your computer.

mooner
PV Beginner
Expertise: Post University Vaulter, Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.85m

Unread postby mooner » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:05 pm

Hey I was just wondering where to register for the meet.

Donald

2-15-46
PV Pro

Unread postby 2-15-46 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:07 pm

apps are out on the march 3rd meet now
Bob

Return to “Michigan”