Hayley Carroll goes upside down for pole vault (IL)

A forum to discuss anything related to Illinois

Moderator: rainbowgirl28

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Hayley Carroll goes upside down for pole vault (IL)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:58 pm

http://www.mysuburbanlife.com/kanecount ... pole-vault

Geneva gymnast Carroll goes upside down for pole vault
Zoom
Photos

Purchase this photo
Erica Benson
Geneva's Hayley Carroll practices pole vault Tuesday April 3, 2012. snapshots.mysuburbanlife.com/1445209

Search provided by local.com
Featured Business »
By Staff reports
Geneva Republican
Posted Apr 06, 2012 @ 11:01 AM
Geneva, IL —

How did you get started pole vaulting?
Ever since I was little, I wanted to do it. In middle school I was in the track program and I went up to the coach and I said, ‘Hey, when does pole vault start?’ They said, ‘Oh, it’s not in middle school,’ and I was like, ‘I have to wait until high school?’ Just seeing the people on television was pretty awesome and that got me into it.

So it was love at first sight?
I’ve done gymnastics for 11 years and I love flying through the air, and pole vault definitely lets you experience that.

Does the upside down and tumbling around of gymnastics help you as a pole vaulter?
It definitely does. Some of the girls newer to pole vault are kind of afraid to get it going, but for me it’s kind of natural to go upside down and fling yourself everywhere. It’s fun.

What is the hardest thing about it?
With good coaching they give you good ideas to start and you think, ‘OK, I can do this.’ Then you stand there and you’re like, ‘Wait, how do I do this?’ It’s a split-second thing to do the whole vault. Just getting everything done in a row in a split second is probably the hardest thing.

Do you need upper-body strength to be a good pole vaulter?
I’d say it definitely helps. Good hand-eye coordination for the first part, and then hands and abs to hoist yourself up.

What’s the biggest tip you’d give to a first-timer?
I like to tell them to not be afraid. A lot of times they’re like, ‘I’m going to get hurt,’ and I have to tell them, ‘No, no, you’re totally fine. You just have to run up and do it, like learning to walk or ride a bike. Just get at it.’

What’s you’re biggest highlight as a pole vaulter?
I just started last year and it was definitely not the most successful first year, but I definitely improved since then. I went to a couple of camps over the summer and the last meet we had I PR’d with 9 feet and it was one of the best feelings ever.

Return to “Illinois”