State meet and Browning SkyPole

A forum to discuss anything related to Illinois

Moderator: rainbowgirl28

Tincup1215
PV Fan
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter, Former College Coach, High School Coach

State meet and Browning SkyPole

Unread postby Tincup1215 » Sun May 30, 2010 3:16 pm

As a joke, I tried to check in a Browning SkyPole circa 1963. It's specs are 10' and there is no sticker on top, but there is no weight limit on the pole since the thing is stiffer than a piece of iron.

Well anyways, most of the guys checking in poles down at state thought it was hilarious and the head guy actually put the tape around the bottom. Well one official freaked out about this and immediatly started yelling at me for trying to "sneak" a pole in for competition.

It's affectionally known as the "poop-stick" due to it's distrint brown color and short stature. We use it in practice a lot to either due pop-ups or to have "poop-stick competitions" which is where we see who can go the highest from 40 feet while using it. It does not bend. I teach interested weightmen how to do pop-ups on this thing.

Patybobady, I saw you were working the event. Congratulations on both kids qualifying to finals. Next year, could you possibly make sure you check in the poles or get 1 of the other Vault guys instead of these random officials?

patybobady
PV Pro
Expertise: High School Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'9"
Favorite Vaulter: Derek Miles

Re: State meet and Browning SkyPole

Unread postby patybobady » Sun May 30, 2010 4:53 pm

Tincup1215 wrote:As a joke, I tried to check in a Browning SkyPole circa 1963. It's specs are 10' and there is no sticker on top, but there is no weight limit on the pole since the thing is stiffer than a piece of iron.

Well anyways, most of the guys checking in poles down at state thought it was hilarious and the head guy actually put the tape around the bottom. Well one official freaked out about this and immediatly started yelling at me for trying to "sneak" a pole in for competition.

It's affectionally known as the "poop-stick" due to it's distrint brown color and short stature. We use it in practice a lot to either due pop-ups or to have "poop-stick competitions" which is where we see who can go the highest from 40 feet while using it. It does not bend. I teach interested weightmen how to do pop-ups on this thing.

Patybobady, I saw you were working the event. Congratulations on both kids qualifying to finals. Next year, could you possibly make sure you check in the poles or get 1 of the other Vault guys instead of these random officials?

It's always difficult when 'new' technology is introduced...haha. I liked the piece of white tape '150' or so on top. For a second I thought it was a piece of the pole the St. Ignatius kid broke in prelims in 3A.

Thanks for that, it was fun having 2 guys in finals, hopfeully we have a better finals next year... I talked to Logan bit afterwards, at least he got to finish with a variety of hardware. He'll do fine at Minnesotta I'm sure.

See you around,

Patrick
Fight the good fight: It's nice to be great but it's far greater to be nice.

Return to “Illinois”