http://www.qctimes.com/sports/high-scho ... 03286.html

Panthers honor former coach with dominant victory

* Story
* Discussion

Shannon Heaton | Posted: Saturday, April 11, 2009 5:55 pm | 1 Comment

Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Craig Curless might be gone, but United Township pole vaulters Chase Pavelonis and Josh Stice did everything in their power to make sure their assistant coach's legacy lived on Saturday at the Soule Bowl in East Moline, site of the UT Kiwanis Invitational.

Pavelonis and Stice won their flights, defending the pole vault pit where Curless helped coach both of them, but it was his friendly approach to coaching that the pair of UT juniors might remember more than the individual wins and gold medals they bagged.

Curless, the 2006 Western Big Six champion in the pole vault, passed away February 1. There was a moment of silence at Saturday's meet for Curless, who returned as a vaulting assistant for the Panthers after graduating from UT in 2006.

"Craig was just a fun guy to be around. He was always loose, but he still had us practice hard," Pavelonis said. "To remember him, we made shirts with him on them. I taped my pole exactly like the way he taped his. I put his name on it. I was just hoping he'd lift me up today."

As the UT No. 1 vaulter, Pavelonis faces annual pressure at this meet, which also features polevaulting powerhouse Plainfield South in the field. But Pavelonis outdueled South's Andrew Haney on the basis of fewer misses, as both cleared 13 feet, 6 inches in the A flight.

"I'm happy with the wins (at Kiwanis and last week in the Shipley Invitational at Moline). The height, maybe, I'm not so happy with, but I've got a new pole coming in and I'm hoping to podium (top nine) at state," Pavelonis said. "It's just each week, getting better and better and better."

Stice enjoyed his moment in the sun, too, clearing 13 feet - a personal best - to knock off a Plainfield South vaulter in the B flight.

"Coaches are still coaches, but he was more like a friend to us. He coached us, he gave us tips, but he talked to us and treated us like he was still back in high school with us," Stice said of his former coach.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Craig Curless passed away recently (IL)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:39 am

http://www.qconline.com/archives/qco/di ... ?id=434161

Curless gathering planned for Saturday
Posted Online: April 09, 2009, 7:21 pm

The United Township High School boys' track team will host a gathering to celebrate Craig Curless' life Saturday at P.K. Dugan's Sports Bar in Silvis. The event will be from 4-8 p.m.

UT track coach Bob Feller said the event is a chance to hang out with the Curless family and friends. Feller said people can also make donations to the Craig Curless Track Memorial Fund.

Curless, a 2006 UT graduate and former Western Big 6 Conference pole vault champion, passed away in February. -- Staff report

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Craig Curless passed away recently (IL)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:43 am

http://www.qctimes.com/app/obits/?secti ... &id=130234

Craig Curless

Printer Friendly Page

February, 3, 2009 | Sign the Guestbook | Email Announcement
SILVIS, Ill. — Funeral services for Craig M. Curless, 20, of Silvis, will be 10 a.m. Wednesday at the Van Hoe Funeral Home Ltd., East Moline. Burial will be in Greenview Memorial Gardens, East Moline. Visitation will be from 3 to 8 p.m. Tuesday (today) at the funeral home. Mr. Curless died Sunday, February 1, 2009, at his home. In lieu of flowers and gifts, memorials may be made to the family.
Craig was born February 16, 1988, in Silvis the son of Jamie and Pam (DeDecker) Curless. He was a graduate of United Township High School class of 2006. For the last 2 years, Craig had been serving his apprenticeship with the Iron Workers Local 111, Rock Island. In 2006, Craig was the Western Big 6 pole vault champion. He always liked to soar high and had no fear. That is why he loved being an iron worker. He lived each day to the fullest. His friends were always at his side, starting another crazy project. Craig brought joy to each person he met with his contagious smile and his soft-hearted personality. He cared so much for his family and friends.
Survivors include his parents, Jamie and Pam Curless of Silvis; sister and brother-in-law, Kimberlee and Jason Awalt of Rock Island; brother, Douglas Curless and Janelle Estlund of Davenport; grandparents, Sally Curless of Bowling Green, Mo., Bud DeDecker and Elsie DeDecker both of Silvis; niece and nephews, Myah, Kaleb and Ashton Awalt; his girlfriend, Josie Lipes of Geneseo, Ill.; several aunts uncles and cousins; and his dog, “Nick”.
He is preceded in death by his grandfather, Aubrey Curless.
Online condolences may be left for the family at www.vanhoe.com

Return to “Illinois”