Where were the Elites?

Discussion for all things related to the National Pole Vault Summit held annually in Reno, Nevada.
scpolevaulter
PV Nerd
Expertise: College Vaulter and High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 14
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Mitch Greeley and Tim Mack

Where were the Elites?

Unread postby scpolevaulter » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:09 am

There were a lot more people on the list of elites that didnt jump? I know Jenn Suhr was there and I think Brad Walker and Steve Hooker did interviews at Summit. My question is why did they not jump and the other elites too? I feel the elite list that was put out was way longer than the list of people that actually competed.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Where were the Elites?

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:23 am

scpolevaulter wrote:There were a lot more people on the list of elites that didnt jump? I know Jenn Suhr was there and I think Brad Walker and Steve Hooker did interviews at Summit. My question is why did they not jump and the other elites too? I feel the elite list that was put out was way longer than the list of people that actually competed.

Brad stayed home to train. The Pole Vault Summit is really early in the year for elite athletes and some are not ready to compete yet. They are trying to peak for the World Championships... I think those are in August? Many elites are competing into late August or even September, their fall training cycle runs later than college and HS kids.

The elite list that was put out was people who would be in attendance. It included retired people like Stacy Dragila. It never said they were all jumping.

iggythebeefcake
PV Newbie
Expertise: 8
Lifetime Best: 14'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Brad Walker

Re: Where were the Elites?

Unread postby iggythebeefcake » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:33 pm

Rick and Jenn Suhr talked about this in one of their sessions for coaches.

Rick said that at last years' summit, the focus was on competing. This year Jenn's focus was on meeting the vaulters, being a role model, and inspiring people. I forget his exact words, but that was basically what I remember him saying. He also talked about how they have shifted their focus toward staying healthy in the latter part of her career so her training is probably less rigorous and I imagine they are probably more choosy when it comes to competitions so she can avoid injury.

Return to “Pole Vault Summit”