YOU can help an emerging elite athlete + get prizes - 2011

Discussion for all things related to the National Pole Vault Summit held annually in Reno, Nevada.
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: YOU can help an emerging elite athlete + get prizes - 2011

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:30 pm

PV2020 wrote:Where does all the money go that people pay for the summit anyway?

There are around a thousand or so vaulters. There is an entry fee. Most sports that run an event like this, the main manufacture would be the event sponsor and should take a little of a loss on the event, and the pay out is press from a great event, people wanting to buy mats and UCS poles.

I know they have to rent the venue. But couldn't the event sponsors pay out a prize for the top vaulters. It is one of the largest pole vault events in the world, you would think the winner would be able to get a nice little chunk of change out of it.

just my .02.....

There is a little prize money for the elites. They pay the lodging and travel of the elites, the MANY coaches who help with the learn by doing clinics, the speakers, and a bunch of other workers as well. A LOT of people work together to make that happen. All of the pits are shipped in from North Carolina, they only make poles in Nevada. They have to rent a LOT of rooms at the hotel, in addition to having to rent out the entire Livestock Arena for the better part of a week. I'm sure the Hall of Fame Banquet is not cheap.

In the end, I don't think they make much, if any, money off the event itself.

Return to “Pole Vault Summit”