Reno 2010 Articles

Discussion for all things related to the National Pole Vault Summit held annually in Reno, Nevada.
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Reno 2010 Articles

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:01 am

http://www.rgj.com/article/20100131/NEW ... ult-summit

Track athletes soar at pole vault summit
BY JEFF DELONG • JDELONG@RGJ.COM • JANUARY 31, 2010

For Mark Thomas, it was all about the number 17.

As in 17 feet. As in soaring that high.

The 18-year-old high-school senior from Lorena, Texas, was one of the roughly 2,000 competitors, coaches and parents who crowded into the arena of the Reno-Sparks Livestock Events Center on Friday and Saturday for the annual National Pole Vault Summit, now in its 20th year.

Thomas aimed to top his previous highest jump of 16 feet, 6 inches.

"I'm going for that big 17 mark," Thomas said as he readied for Saturday's competition.

The summit, which has gained global fame, offers a unique opportunity for folks passionate about a sport with increasing popularity.

It also offers a chance to be taught and coached by the best -- athletes like Nick Hysong and Stacy Dragila, both gold medal winners in the 2000 Summer Olympics. It's an opportunity to bond, to compete with the best, to simply have fun.

Most participants are in high school, but others come in all ages.

"It can be an 8-year-old having a ball. We even have 70- to 80-year-olds vaulting," said Greg Hull of Phoenix, an event organizer.

Boulder, Colo., resident Pat Manson, a top U.S. vaulter in 1996-97, was one of the coaches helping out during this year's summit. He loves the event and said it can make a big difference in young athletes' lives.

"I figure each kid as they go through high school figures out what their gifts are," said Manson, 42. "When a kid gets matched up with their gift, they can really flourish."

The summit is the place to do so, he said.

"These are the top kids in the country, and for some, this is the first time they've ever seen each other," Manson said.

No shortage of enthusiasm exists. Tori Anthony, 20, and Tori Pena, 22, were among a group of about 20 eager UCLA students, alumni and others who arrived Friday after driving from Southern California.

"We're stoked. We're excited," Pena said as she carried her pole into the arena.

Quinn Jacobson, a 16-year-old high school student from Bend, Ore., said the summit was a great way to get prepared for the coming track and field season.

For Thomas, who plans to join the pole vaulting team at University of Texas in Austin next year, it could be a way to prepare for the future.

"I'm going to go as far as this can take me," he said of the sport.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Reno 2010 Articles

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:03 am

http://www.usdcoyotes.com/sports/track/ ... SE_ID=5524

Coyotes Compete in National Pole Vault Summit

1/30/2010

Tane Owens
Reno, Nev. - Five members of the South Dakota track and field team finished in the top five of their respective division at the prestigious National Pole Vault Summit on Saturday at the Reno Event Center.

The USD women were paced by freshman Bethany Buell (St. Louis, Mo.), who finished second in the first division by clearing 12-7 1/2. Competing in the second division, junior Haley Peterson (Norfolk, Neb.) won with a mark of 11-11 3/4 and freshman Jessica Christian (Richland, Wash.) placed fifth with a leap of 11/5 3/4. Fellow freshmen Megan Meyer (Bismarck, N.D.) and Betsey Whisonant (Cody, Wyo.) finished ninth and 14th, respectively.

On the men's side, junior Tane Owens (Pierre, S.D.) claimed third with a vault of 15-5 in the second division. Fellow junior Bryan Braley (Howes, S.D.) cleared 14-9 to finish fourth in the third division and sophomore Tanner Willard (Belle Fourche, S.D.) was eighth in the fourth division.

South Dakota continues its indoor season with two meets next weekend. The Coyotes will return to Lincoln, Neb., for the Frank Sevigne Invitational on Feb. 5-6 and also host the John Dalton Meet on Feb. 6.

Return to “Pole Vault Summit”