Stuczynski will never beat ISINBAYEVA in Europe!!

News about pole vault competitions that occur outside the US and international pole vaulters.
30yrs-coaching
PV Beginner

Stuczynski will never beat ISINBAYEVA in Europe!!

Unread postby 30yrs-coaching » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:04 am

This is not due to her injury although that does not help either.Having had several vaulters compete in europe people do not understand how difficult it is to compete there.these meets are several plane trips equauling 10 to15 hours total traveland then the fun starts.Practise facilities tough to get (if at all),Food,drink,otc meds,JETLAG,poles lost in transfer,constant walking,no trainors,physio,access to wt.rms.When you look at our american women they are all jumping lower over there with the exception of a jump or two.The disadvantage is huge snd you don't realize it until you have tryed to jump over there.For the eropeans these are home meets!They compete and that night take a one hour flight and are back at home eating dinner at their home training center with everything they need.Most tthe US vaulters don't even train between meets because of no access to facilities.They struggle with poles,hotel,airports and finding a place between meets.Its just not a fair playing field,look at our results.For all these reasons I will stick to my headline.I will compliment Jenski and Shur,they are clearly the best shot we have but not in europe.Osaka looks better and more even yet Stuczynki is still hurt and the last place you ever want to be hurt is in europe,She probable won't be ready for osaka(at least not 100%).If shur is smart he will rest until osaka and take a shot at a medal.Jenski is on the list for london and that is not a good idea.She is coming of a 4.55 performance and still hurt.She will be lucky to be top 5 there,all studs in that meet.Its a home meet for them all.

big10jumper
PV Wannabe

Unread postby big10jumper » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:44 am

Dude I have to disagree, never say never.I'll admit that it is not easy to jump over their but i still think Stuczinki has a chance to beat isi. Isi is obviously overconfident and quite cocky as bruce F. showed in his post. In fact her and petrov seem to both be arrogent saying they have no rivals.There are plenty capable of beating her.Stuczinki may be at a disadvantage and hurt but she is american dude,check your loyalty.She has set 2 US records this year and I think she will beat isi in europe at some point. why?because she is american and she is the best we have and thats good enough.

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:01 am

I don't know of any of the vaulters that regularly compete in Europe thatdon't base themselves there during the summer. They really only have that one big flight there and should be well adjusted to the time change in a week or so. Most have a place to train there also. Some train in Germany with Lobinger and his kraut posse. I know Harvey, Hartwig, Stevenson, etc. did/do. Maybe the women have issues since we all know women really can't get along with one another for very long before the claws come out. ;)
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

PVDad2
PV Beginner

Unread postby PVDad2 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:28 am

achtungpv wrote: Maybe the women have issues since we all know women really can't get along with one another for very long before the claws come out. ;)

(Nearly every male snickers, nearly every female's eyes narrow to an angry squint).

I would recommend not getting too close to the women's runway during warm-ups any time soon. An accident might happen.

Powervaulter
PV Whiz

Unread postby Powervaulter » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:29 pm

I think the initial idea that it's easier to compete at home is a good point. However, the true pro will rise to the occasion and compete well regardless of the circumstances. I'm quite sure that Jenn is familiar with the potential pitfalls of travel, and will adjust as is necessary. If not, I'm sure she'll learn fast, so that she can be ready the next time around. I think Jenn's biggest obstacle right now is her injury. Once that's taken care of, watch for her to keep moving up. Watch out, Isi!
My motto is like my blood type: B+.

VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:15 am

being in the middle of it for the first time myself, i feel like its a little more difficult, but not that much different.

like was said before all the guys i know over here, and a few of the girls, have places they are based out of, and travel from there.

that being said, the meet directors also take really good care of people here. i mean im just a decent vaulter and i have stayed at some super nice hotels and all the meal provided, travel money given. its been really cool.

the only thing ive found really difficult is being careful what you eat. maybe its just me, but 2 or three times here in the last month ive fought off what felt like a light case of food poisening, where i just get real sick and weak for a couple days. and i cant find an ice machine anywhere!!
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:38 am

It is difficult to resist commenting on a topic where there has been so much misinformation, and not a little jingoism on the part of at least one contributor. Here I must say that I am not sure that the ignorance shown is real or just faked for effect because anyone who knows anything about the vault or indeed about sport, knows that it is always possible for Jennifer to beat Yelena at any time and any place - not probable at the moment but still possible. Please note that when it happens it will not be because she is an American athlete but because she is very talented and dedicated and, with her coach. is striving to produce her best possible performance.

The gap between the two is certainly bridegeable but if it does not happen the reasons will not lie with all of the supposed disadvantages she faces, but because on the day, Yelena will have proved to be the better competitor.

With regard to the supposed arrogance of Petrov and Isinbayeva - I would like the author of that inane comment to give me an example of an elite performer in any sport who goes into a competition with the belief that any particular 'opponent' will beat them. Certainly you will never hear Tiger Woods or Roger Federer say that they believe -------- may well beat him in the next tourmament! In fact Woods, like Yelena, takes the view that he is only ever 'playing' against himself - in fact he thinks the way any sports psychologist would recommend that an athlete in an indivdual sort should think. Simple applied common sense really and far better than a very common attitude in US vaulting, where too often the focus is on the wrong thing - ie winning - and not where it should be -on getting everything right!

Here it is worth remembering the wisdom of the Samurai, "If you have one eye on winning you have only one eye left to watch your opponents sword".

It is also worth pointing out that Petrov is an internationalist; he couldn't care less where an athlete comes from. Apart from Yelena he is presently advising/coaching Brazilian and Polish girls and an Argentinian male vaulter. Late last year he worked with two American coaches and two Mexican vaulters in Formia. However the fact is -whether you accept it or not - he is the best coach in the sport in any event in track in field in the world. I say this having seen many of the great ones, and having worked alongside the second best vault coach in the world, Alex Parnov, for over two years. Incidentally the third most knowledgeable vault coach for all of you who might be interested, is Roman Botcharnikov - who unfortunately for vaulting in the USA, is not coaching anyone at this time. Enjoy!
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

Spencer Chang, MD
PV Fan

G'Day

Unread postby Spencer Chang, MD » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:22 pm

Alan,

How's your health ol mate? Since you got to spend some time with Brian Yokoyama in Formia in November, how would you regard him as a coach? I am biased, but I do believe Brian is often underrated, and is in my mind one of the best in the business. There have been quite a few American Coaches who have spent some time with Petrov. It is very reassuring to see that more and more coaches in the US are implementing Petrov's ideas, thanks to coaches like yourself.

By the way, I really love what you've done with your latest video. Great job and thanks for all that you do for the pole vault. You'll have to stop by in Hawaii sometime in your travels to the continental U.S.

Aloha,

Spence
Check out the video Vault 2000. You may purchase it at SpringCo or On Track.

Soar Like an Eagle
PV Whiz
Expertise: High School Coach, Fan,
Lifetime Best: 17'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie, Steve Smith

Re: G'Day

Unread postby Soar Like an Eagle » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:26 pm

Spencer Chang, MD wrote:Alan,

How's your health ol mate? Since you got to spend some time with Brian Yokoyama in Formia in November, how would you regard him as a coach? I am biased, but I do believe Brian is often underrated, and is in my mind one of the best in the business. There have been quite a few American Coaches who have spent some time with Petrov. It is very reassuring to see that more and more coaches in the US are implementing Petrov's ideas, thanks to coaches like yourself.

By the way, I really love what you've done with your latest video. Great job and thanks for all that you do for the pole vault. You'll have to stop by in Hawaii sometime in your travels to the continental U.S.

Aloha,

Spence

I think Brian is a great coach and is very dedicated to the sport. He spends tireless hours coaching and helping all pole vaulters regardless of one’s ability. If I am not mistaken, he along with the MSAC jumpers go to the Summit early to help set everything up.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:06 pm

Thanks for the kind words Spencer - would love to drop off in Hawaii for a few days but now I am famous - or infamous depending on your point of view - you would have to make me a very good offer!!!!

Brian obviously makes a huge contribution to the sport but the key to who he is - is his willingness to allow an athlete to be exposed to the ideas of anoither coach - in this case Petrov. I know from personal experience that that can be stressful - but it can also be very rewarding, as we have seen with Gio's recent performances. Brian showed that he was not going to allow his own ego to get in the way of his athletes development - the sign of a true coach. :rose: :yes:

trackpole
PV Newbie

Unread postby trackpole » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:37 am

Altius "far better than a very common attitude in US vaulting, focus on winning....etc"

You post some great responses on this site but lets not let international pride get in the way of some good posting.

First that's not just a US goal. Lets see, China's distance immortals, East Germany's swim team, Soviet Russia, and let me not forget the USA have all had there focus on winning, at any cost, drive some of their athletic endeavors.

And most of all, it isnt a national thing at all, it is a personnal thing. Woods focuses on winning by being the best athlete he can be, so does Federer, and so do all great athletes. If you asked Steve Hooker and Paul Burgess if they are focused on winning, they would say yes. At least they should say yes. A part of winning is doing things correctly. The two go hand in hand and the athletes in the US are no different from athletes anywhere else.

I know your on the same page but just a little funny after a US visit, you think that you know the driving force of US athletes. There is no denying that Petrov is a great coach, just as there is no denying that Alex Parnov is a great coach. Petrov has a 6.14 guy and a 5.90 guy, (just left the sport for doping issues, must have had winning on his mind) and Parnov has two 6.00 men and a 5.96 guy. Statistically, who is a better coach? Doesnt matter they are both great. The USA has four 6.00 guys. Does that mean that USA is the best vaulting country in the world? Some may say yes, but that is just OPINION.

Anyway sorry for the rant. Coaching and equally as important, the Athlete make for great vaulters. And even if you are right and your opinion of the US "focusing on winning" is true, how wrong can it be. Hartwig, Stevenson, Mack, and Walker have done okay.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:35 pm

If you dont let jingoism get in the way you might be able to understand the point I was making when I wrote --- "a very common attitude in US vaulting, where too often the focus is on the wrong thing - ie winning - and not where it should be - on getting everything right!

This is the key phrase - "Here it is worth remembering the wisdom of the Samurai, "If you have one eye on winning you have only one eye left to watch your opponents sword". I gave the example of Woods myself if you noticed, as one - who like all great sportsmen, concentrates on the process, not the product. So when he lines up to hit the ball he is concentrating on a perfect stroke not on winning the tournament - he knows if he gets enough perfect strokes he has a better chance of winning. You only have to read PVP long enough - and talk to the hundreds of young vaulters I have worked with in your country to see that many do not understand a critical priniciple of competing effectively.
Oh and note that I have not just returned from one visit -I have done 3 in the past 12 months and been to the Summit almodt every year for the past ten.

"If you asked Steve Hooker and Paul Burgess if they are focused on winning, they would say yes. At least they should say yes." No they wouldnt! They would be concentrating on selecting the right pole, adjusting their run up for the conditions, and then dealing with each element of the vault mentally -they would not be thinking about winning - nor should they if they want to win! The only time winning will enter their thought processes is when they make tactical decisions about what heights to take or pass at the sharp end of the action - and they will only have the luxury of doing that if the they remain focussed on the process of vaulting.

You will note that I did not mention Hartwig et al; because they clearly have mastered this ability to focus on the performance, not the result.

But here we go again. I cant believe thatI am stupid enough to again think I can make a contribution to an understanding of this great event. Best forget it because emotion and mis directed patriotism will always overcome rational thought.
:confused: :yes:

Return to “Pole Vault - International”