Golden Gala - Isinbayeva 5.03 New World Record!!

News about pole vault competitions that occur outside the US and international pole vaulters.
BruceFlorman
PV Lover

Re: Golden Gala - Isinbayeva 5.03 New World Record!!

Unread postby BruceFlorman » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:31 pm

I’d been anticipating an Isinterview™ in Sport-Express sometime soon, and around midnight last night (for me – 8:00 am in Moscow) Sergey Butov’s latest article was posted (http://www.sport-express.ru/art.shtml?162591). Unfortunately, it turned out to be pretty much a rehash of the same material from her post-competition press conference that’s already been covered in the English language articles and the All Sport article that I translated Friday night.

In past years it seemed that the Russian sports media typically didn’t have much presence on the European circuit, but they’d reach her by phone the next day and get some comments. Last year, when Isi was going for the GL jackpot, All Sport sent Natalia Maryanchik to all the Golden League meets, and she apparently managed to get “exclusive” interviews with Isi at each of them. So this year it looks like SE sent Mr. Butov to Rome at least, but paradoxically, this seems to mean we’re seeing less “exclusively Russian” material, at least about Isi.

The Russian reporters in attendance obviously understand English well enough that they didn’t see any reason to re-ask the same questions again at the end of the post-event press conference, when Isi briefly switched over to Russian to answer a few of their questions. The Russian T&F fans may be getting better overall coverage out of this new arrangement, since as I mentioned when I posted excerpts from Butov’s article about the press conference the day before the Golden Gala, he spoke personally with eight or ten of the high-profile athletes. But from my own selfish standpoint, the new deal seems like a step in the wrong direction.

So anyhow, I’m disinclined to do a full-out translation of the entire article, since there’s so little new material. He did include one or two things I haven’t seen elsewhere, so I guess I’ll just hit a couple of highlights. Evidently one of the very first questions she was asked in English was…
- Yelena, how would you describe your performance?

- I suppose like so: I jumped 4.70, then 4.85. Then I went to 4.95 and then set a world record. That’s how I’d describe it (laughter in the room). When I coped with 4.95, my coach Vitaly Petrov said: "Lena, this time try 5.03."

Okay, I got a chuckle out of it, but she needs to be careful. My impression is that reporters generally don’t like it when their subjects point out a vacuous question.

At the end, when she answered a few Russian questions, she was asked…
- For whom was today’s record more important: for you or Petrov?

- First of all for my coach. If he ever had any doubts about me, today I hope all the questions have been removed. Now he is a million percent confident in me!

I find it interesting that she puts it that way – like she was worried about failing to meet his expectations. On Saturday morning, when I sent my translation of the All Sport article to Andy Maetzler (Isi’s business manager), I confessed that I’d been a bit worried after her indoor campaign this year, but joked that maybe Petrov really knew what he was talking about when he said the transition would take a couple of years, but that she’d be jumping better than ever when she got through it. Andy wrote back about how happy he is for Vitaly – that he’s been doing a great job, but has been feeling quite a bit of pressure.

Well certainly neither one of them particularly needs my approval. But if what we saw Friday is any indication, I think they’ve both been doing a pretty darn good job.

slvr1969
PV Whiz
Favorite Vaulter: Yelena Isinbayeva

Unread postby slvr1969 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:02 pm

Thanks Bruce

slvr1969
PV Whiz

Re:

Unread postby slvr1969 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:17 am

BruceFlorman wrote:I like the blue shoes better than the silver ones from the last couple of years. :D

I AGREE THEY LOOK NICE, http://www.boomspeed.com/javo/YI-BLUE-DOLPHIE-SPIKES.jpg

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:37 am

Any other meets for her before Beijing?
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

BruceFlorman
PV Lover

Pre-competition Petrov interview

Unread postby BruceFlorman » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:38 am

On Saturday I wrote:But sometimes I really struggle with the more colorful Russian expressions. The phrase that I translated as "sporting fury" - по-спортивному злой (po-sportivomu zloy) - might more accurately be translated as "sports-related evil", but I just didn't think that sounded quite right. :dazed: Then right after that I've got her saying: "I didn't just squeak over the bar." A literal translation of - я не облизала планку (ya ne oblizala planku) - would be: "I didn't lick the bar". But for some reason I wasn't completely comfortable with that one either. :D

One thing Sergey Butov's article on the SE website did for me was to clearly distinguish which questions she answered in English and which in Russian. So now it's clear that Lena never actually said: "I didn't lick the bar". That was Natalia Maryanchik's translation to Russian of her answer, which the AP article quotes as: "It was not even close to the bar". Oh well... I never said I was the brightest crayon in the box. I'll try to pay closer attention in the future.

BTW, I was kind of wondering why Ms. Maryanchik was getting her own byline for the GL articles on AllSport.ru last year, but was just being referred to as "the special correspondent" this season. Then last evening I found the article below on the SovSport.ru website. So it appears that she’s either moonlighting or there’s some kind of joint arrangement between the two outfits. Not that anybody but me really cares who the Russian sports reporters on the Euro circuit are, of course. :D

Anyway, I thought this was both amusing and enlightening…
On SovSport.ru Natalia Maryanchik wrote:Isinbaeva’s coach Vitaly Petrov: It pains me that Lena isn’t jumping 5.10

14 July 2008, N. Maryanchik

Before the competition in Rome legendary coach Vitaly Petrov, who trained Sergey Bubka, and now trains Yelena Isinbaeva, gave an interesting interview to our correspondent, in which he criticized his charge.

– Vitaly Afanasevich, I notice that Lena arrived in Rome alone, without you.

– Actually, I just arrived yesterday evening. I had to finish a seminar at the training center in Formia. From Formia to Rome is only a couple of hours by car. Lena was supposed to attend the press conference, so she left the day before me. Incidentally, what’s this written in the newspaper that Lena spoke about some sort of psychological problems? Did she actually say that?

– Lena said that problems with psychology didn’t allow her to perform better at the winter world championships in Valencia, where she experienced too much psychological pressure.

– Well all right, talk and talk. Although the reality of course is that Valencia was difficult for other reasons.

– What?

– Lena competed in the terribly difficult tournament in Donetsk - the famous "Pole Vault Stars" on February 16th. At one in the afternoon we started warm-ups, and she made her first jump at seven in the evening. Then the world record, all the hubbub, the press conference, the discotheque... The expenditure of energy was colossal! From Donetsk Lena immediately went to St. Petersburg, to the awards ceremony of the sports Oscar - the "Laureus Awards". There again – get ready, attend the ceremony itself, then leave... It’s no surprise that Lena arrived at the tournament in Bydgoszcz worn out.

– Lena said that she is well prepared for the Olympic season and that such problems won’t recur.

– God willing. Physically she’s indeed well prepared. And as for her training, with regard to functional preparedness, I have no complaints. But psychologically… Maybe I just haven’t worked enough with girls yet, but it’s difficult for me to understand. How is it possible to unyieldingly train, and then suddenly – an emotional breakdown, then back to work again?

Lena really has a lot of commitments and obligations in addition to sports. I completely understand and accept it – she’s no longer simply a girl-athlete, but the face of her sport and her country. But it’s one thing when the shooting schedule and travel is known in advance and I can write them into the training plan. It’s quite another when distracting circumstances come up suddenly, at the last moment. Like: "I need to attend the Institute", "I need to buy an apartment", "I need to go for a visit" – and so on. I keep saying: "Lena, I understand, but why do you need it right now, before Beijing?!" If you commit at least 80 percent to the sport and 20 percent to all the rest, those 80 can be the driving force. But if the distribution is 50-50, the work is difficult. All the more for an athlete such as Lena.

– Certainly you’ve discussed the situation with Isinbaeva more than once. Does she really not understand that she’ll be her own worst enemy if she’s not well prepared for Olympic victory?

– She understands everything and works at a hundred percent for awhile. But then something else happens, some disruption… Indeed the matter isn’t just the Olympic victory. Now Lena isn’t just earning money, isn’t just taking care of the present. Lena is now working on her own future. With her potential, she could easily jump 5.10, if not higher. And it greatly pains me as her coach that she’s not doing so. We need to set a world record which will stand for ten years, as was done by Sergey Bubka. Then yes, that would make her career.

– It seems like for Lena to quietly train, you need to settle on an uninhabited island.

– She’d still find adventures in her head – laughs Petrov.

Well I hope her jump on Friday eased the pain somewhat. :D

Edit: Fixed several typos.
Last edited by BruceFlorman on Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

BruceFlorman
PV Lover

Unread postby BruceFlorman » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:39 am

powerplant42 wrote:Any other meets for her before Beijing?

Stockholm next Tuesday, then London a week after that and Monaco the following weekend.

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:09 pm

Should be some good stuff! I don't think this record will stand for very long... Anyone else with me on that one?

slvr1969
PV Whiz

Unread postby slvr1969 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:25 pm

BruceFlorman wrote:
powerplant42 wrote:Any other meets for her before Beijing?

Stockholm next Tuesday, then London a week after that and Monaco the following weekend.

2008 CALENDER
22 July - IAAF Super Grand Prix DN Galan - Stockholm
25 July to 26 July - Aviva Grand Prix - London
29 July - Herculis Super Grand Prix - Monaco
16 AUG - Olympic Games China Beijing 10:10 (GMT+8:00) Qualification
18 AUG - Olympic Games China Beijing 19:20 (GMT+8:00) Final
29 Aug - Zürich - Weltklasse Zürich
05 Sep - Bruxelles - Memorial Van Damme
13 Sep to 14 Sep - Stuttgart - IAAF/VTB Bank World Athletics Final

jcoover
PV Pro
Favorite Vaulter: Nicholas Panozzo

Unread postby jcoover » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:29 pm

Should be some good stuff! I don't think this record will stand for very long... Anyone else with me on that one?

If you mean that she will break it again the soon, then yes I am with you.
"We can, by God, let our demons loose and just wail on!" - John L Parker

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:36 am

Yeah, that's what I meant... I think she'll break it before Beijing at 5.05 and MIGHT be able to pull off 5.06-10 if she jumps like she did at the gala and has her standards set right.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:30 am

powerplant42 wrote:Yeah, that's what I meant... I think she'll break it before Beijing at 5.05 and MIGHT be able to pull off 5.06-10 if she jumps like she did at the gala and has her standards set right.

She won't try to go that high so soon. She wants to break Bubka's record for # of world records, and of course she wants to make the most money possible.

In her next three meets I predict she'll break the record once or twice, but probably not at all three, so we'll see 5.05 or 5.06 at the Olympics. Then she has three meets after that, and again maybe she'll break it 1-2 more times, so at best I think we'd see maybe 5.08 this year. I'd be really surprised if she skips any heights to get to 5.10. She's jumping well but she is planning on being around for several more years and needs to break it a few more times.

An interesting scenario will be indoors, where Jenn has historically opened her season really early. I could definitely see Jenn breaking Isinbayeva's indoor world record at least once or twice before Isi even opens her season. Maybe in Reno? And Jenn might actually keep jumping too, maybe a 5 meter jump after breaking the record if she still had gas in the tank.

jcoover
PV Pro
Favorite Vaulter: Nicholas Panozzo

Unread postby jcoover » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:33 pm

An interesting scenario will be indoors, where Jenn has historically opened her season really early. I could definitely see Jenn breaking Isinbayeva's indoor world record at least once or twice before Isi even opens her season. Maybe in Reno? And Jenn might actually keep jumping too, maybe a 5 meter jump after breaking the record if she still had gas in the tank.

Especially next year, which of course isn't an olympic year. I'm sure it will (and should) be in Coach Suhr's plans to go for the WR early indoors before Isi is fully fit and ready to jump.
"We can, by God, let our demons loose and just wail on!" - John L Parker

Return to “Pole Vault - International”