Bubka says current pole vaulters lack technique

News about pole vault competitions that occur outside the US and international pole vaulters.
golfdane
PV Pro

Re: Bubka says current pole vaulters lack technique

Unread postby golfdane » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:43 am

altius wrote:Even better if it is an OZZIE that does it, so I will certainly " get behind them and cheer them on".

I for one, wouldn't care whether it's a French , American, German, Russian or an Australian vaulter (won't exclude anyone, but this is not a geography exam). If anyone breaks the records, or even start getting the height Bubka had on so many jumps, I'll applaud. LOUDLY. Sure, a few have had attempts on WR's, but no one have been even remotely close, or have showed clearances that resembles those that Bubka have had. Alan's avatar shows his 6.01 WR, and clearly, the pegs are not long, and the bar ends are as they should be (not square).
In fact, it's not long ago, since I saw a new crossbar design advertised here, that allegedly have a lower CoG, and therefore should be a wee bit harder to knock off.

I'm confident, that when someone breaks it, will the jumper use the Petrov model to a large extent, if not fully. I'm also confident, that when that happens, some will claim it happened because of physical abilities rather than technique.....

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:34 pm

golfdane wrote:Alan's avatar shows his 6.01 WR, and clearly, the pegs are not long, and the bar ends are as they should be (not square).

Those are clearly the older, longer pegs, no one used the short pegs before they were required, and you can tell by how far they extend past the bar. The short pegs barely extend any longer than the crossbar. The image quality is too crappy to say for sure if the ends are rounded or not, but I didn't think anyone was using rounded ends in the 90's or earlier.

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:14 pm

Wow, people get their panties in a wad over an interview edited down to fit a newspaper's space limit.

Bubka has stated repeatedly that he was never the best raw athlete but he was definitely far more OCD about perfecting technique than anyone else. He's also given props to Hooker in the past and has said he should have a good shot at the WR.

Anyway, I agree with him. The only two athletes that have top shelf technique are Hooker and Lavillenie. It's not a coincidence why they're so far ahead of everyone else. I'd include Lukyanenko but I doubt he'll come back.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:36 pm

achtungpv wrote:Wow, people get their panties in a wad over an interview edited down to fit a newspaper's space limit.

Bubka has stated repeatedly that he was never the best raw athlete but he was definitely far more OCD about perfecting technique than anyone else. He's also given props to Hooker in the past and has said he should have a good shot at the WR.

Anyway, I agree with him. The only two athletes that have top shelf technique are Hooker and Lavillenie. It's not a coincidence why they're so far ahead of everyone else. I'd include Lukyanenko but I doubt he'll come back.

off subject, what happened to lukyanenko??
On a whole new level 6-20-09

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:34 pm

"Those are clearly the older, longer pegs," But - and I repeat - it doesnt matter how long the pegs are if you dont hit the bar! And I am waiting for evidence that did bubka hit the bar on any jump but especially one that was critical. Dont let us forget that like everyone else he was allowed three attempts. Only time he did not get a bar with one them was in Barcelona

However what no one seems to have noticed is that even if you do hit a bar resting on short pegs there is still a pretty good chance it will stay on if you drop down on it as better technicians tend to do! Can anyone post film of Nick Hysong's winning jump at 5.90 in Sydney???

Thanks achtung -good sense always.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:10 pm

KYLE ELLIS wrote:off subject, what happened to lukyanenko??

He had to have his lymph nodes removed and has been in recovery for that since then. No idea what the issue was but I doubt it was good.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:05 am

"The more jumps you take, the better technical model you can put together." If you know what that model should be! Do you? Do you want to find out or just spend your time making snide remarks about a great athlete. Suggest you just get on with your training so we can find out what YOU can achieve.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:51 am

"Why does Altius defend Bubka so much". Because he really is a very nice guy!

VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:42 am

This argument has been beaten to death and has just resurfaced once again due to this interview.

Basic summary, no one can prove bubka was taking drugs, therefore, why slander our own sport when its in a constant battle to not be seen as a drug riddled mess.

what we can prove is that bubka was ONE of the fastest athletes of all time on the runway. not necessarily the fastest, but fast enough that with his technique was able to put together monster jumps. there are faster people out there who have not managed to jump higher, so we cant purely base his success purely off of speed. although his overall athleticism helps, a guy with a 25-26ft long jump as it was reported, will def. be able to get away with someone who is flat off the ground.

the petrov model as is no magical potion, as Altius does a great job mentioning in his book. The basic elements are not groundbreaking either. Many coaches believe in the free take off, and have taught it even before it was known as a free take off. Same with a long swing, and covering the pole. Obviously because of their success together, Bubka/Petrov have sort of coined the technique as theres, even though elements have existed of that style for a long time. They just made it public knowledge what there goals were.

I personally think there were elements of tarasovs jumps that were far better then bubka. However, one of the things petrov lives by, is putting energy into the system, both through run and take off. This was bubkas masterpiece. No one has done that better for sure. Anyway. Thats my summary of this argument. Now i am going to bed
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:09 am

altius wrote: And I am waiting for evidence that did bubka hit the bar on any jump but especially one that was critical. Dont let us forget that like everyone else he was allowed three attempts.

Alan I don't know how many times we can post this...
I know the meet becca is talking about, the one in Donetsk, and yea, he volzed his 3rd attempt at 5.90, however, that was one occasion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWGyzPNXI_U (at 6:49).

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:32 am

You are right = a definite voltz. hadnt noticed it because i was too keen to find the WR jump. Obviously some more humble pie is in order -actually it wasnt too bad the other night.

So to summarise what seems to be a common feeling on this board.
Although Bubka set his world records under the rules as they were at the time they shouldn't really count - because HE then made sure the rules re voltzing, time allowed and the length of bar supports were altered so that his records could not be challenged. In addition of course he was just a fantastic physical specimen -superman indeed - probably -but let us whisper this- because he used drugs. Right???

Then it would appear that he really did not introduce anything new with his Petrov model. He just confirmed what folk in Canada and the USA were already doing in the 70s. Right?? Strange thing is that we can find film of him voltzing - and there is no doubt he did on that occasion -but we can never find any film to justify the claims that are made repeatedly of athletes who jumped like Bubka before Bubka. Where is the evidence of all of these jumpers using a Petrov model before Petrov -they must be there - i just wish i could see them. I also wonder why the Canadian record is only 5.61 and just at the moment (I know it is a temporary phase) things look a bit thin in the USA. Did the folk who knew all this stuff not feel it worthwhile to share it???

Clearly I had no need to write a couple of books because everyone knew it all already - why didnt you let me know this before i started - would have saved a lot of stress. Clearly I was mistaken in what I thought I saw in Reno ten years ago and every year that I have been back since -and what I see again and again in one clinic after another across the country. Obviously just not very good at observing vaulters.

But clearly some of you folk have been keeping all this good stuff to yourselves. Not very professional of you.

Not sure what your agenda is Becca -perhaps it is just to keep me in order. It would be a great pity if you wasted a lot of good work by supporting an anti Bubka push.

VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:18 am

i dont think people have an anti-bubka agenda. that certainly wasn't my intent in making my statements. I wouldn't have a giant poster of him in my apartment if i wasnt a huge fan. slick vt and i used to sit around and watch this compilation of bubka jumping in the 80s and 90s. which sadly has gotten harder in the last few years as its on a vhs test. the guy was an incredible athlete and technician no doubt.

and as far as petrov not doing anything new, that also wasn't quite what i was trying to say. Especially if your defining a model as the entire jump from step to step. I was saying that there were guys who were doing parts of what became the model, but petrov put all the pieces together and "defined" his beliefs on what combination technical aspects led to the best jumps. He then made a strong case for his model by unleashing it through bubka.

ANDD finally. i think it was a swedish coach in particular that must have had some idea. Alan Id like to know your thoughts on this jump compared to the petrov model. its hard to say entirely because we cant see his pole carry and drop timing, which are huge aspects of the model, but Isakssons work on the pole seems to be very much ahead of his time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K-HZaXRpSA
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

Return to “Pole Vault - International”