Men's Top Five All-Time?

News about pole vault competitions that occur outside the US and international pole vaulters.
StanVaultCoach
PV Wannabe

Brits

Unread postby StanVaultCoach » Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:50 am

The pole never got to vertical because he liked to cap the top of 5.20 poles. I don't think he was fast enough or technically proficient at take-off to get those poles to roll-over. However, he did make some high bars here and there (but very inconsistent).

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:44 am

Mecham wrote:Of the jumps i have seen of Okkert Brits jump, i wouldnt really expect him to go 6.03 meters. I havent seen many jumps of his, but the ones i have, it really doesnt look like he could of jumped that high. Was he just lucky on the 6.03 jump? or has he had more jumps in the 5.90+ range.

Brits' jump hasn't looked the same over the last 5+ years as it did in the mid 90's. If you have a copy of Jan Johnson's Sky Systems III, there's a clip of Brits beating Bubka at some meet, and Brits is just getting launched off the top of the pole, with the pole nowhere near vertical as Gus mentioned. He comes off the pole so hard you can't even see his hand release from it in slow motion - the only person I've seen get launched like that is Bubka - basically an effortless catapult. Now Brits' jump looks slow and methodical like pretty much everyone else.
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:14 pm

lonestar wrote:
Mecham wrote:Of the jumps i have seen of Okkert Brits jump, i wouldnt really expect him to go 6.03 meters. I havent seen many jumps of his, but the ones i have, it really doesnt look like he could of jumped that high. Was he just lucky on the 6.03 jump? or has he had more jumps in the 5.90+ range.

Brits' jump hasn't looked the same over the last 5+ years as it did in the mid 90's. If you have a copy of Jan Johnson's Sky Systems III, there's a clip of Brits beating Bubka at some meet, and Brits is just getting launched off the top of the pole, with the pole nowhere near vertical as Gus mentioned. He comes off the pole so hard you can't even see his hand release from it in slow motion - the only person I've seen get launched like that is Bubka - basically an effortless catapult. Now Brits' jump looks slow and methodical like pretty much everyone else.

Brits was only 21 when he jumped 6.03. He also jumped 6.01 the next year. He wasn't physically mature by any means at that point. He was rail skinny and fast. Over the next few years he put on a good 20 lbs. Wasn't nearly as fast or explosive then. '95-'96 he was very Bubkaesque on the pole.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

Return to “Pole Vault - International”