Herculis - Lavillenie 5.88, Walker, Mesnil, Mazuryk 5.80

News about pole vault competitions that occur outside the US and international pole vaulters.
athgeek
PV Beginner

Re: Herculis - Lavillenie 5.88, Walker, Mesnil, Mazuryk 5.80

Unread postby athgeek » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:00 pm

I was aware of Bubka, Huffman, Collette (sp? from France). I suspected Gataullin and Buller were around 10 as well. Never heard of Widen. I thought Duplantis was around 10 mps too. But I've never seen a formal 10.1 or higher mps measurement on anyone. I might have simply missed it.

Perhaps Lavillene appears to be faster because he's only 5'9", so his turnover is quicker. I wish somebody had a radar gun on him on that 6.01 jump he just did.
Vault high...land on something soft :)

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby Bubba PV » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:44 pm

USATF PV Biomechanist, Dr. Pete McGinnis, keeps these stats each year as well as cumulative. He can tell us right off the top of his head who else fits this 10 m/s category. I remember being surprised how often Huffman did it. I’ve lost the big list he sent me when I got a new computer. Pete? Bubba
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:05 pm

From McGInnis' data is what I'm remembering...

Widen from Sweden, 5.77 PR I think, had the fastest single time actually...something crazy like a 10.3 MPS. An minor Italian 5.65ish vaulter was 2nd if I remember correctly.

From the available data (granted just several meets over a couple of years), every single vaulter missed 100% of the time when running over 10.0 except for Bubka and once or twice by Gataullin. Clearances occurred when running between 9.5-9.8. Above that, the extra speed apparently introduced technical errors. Bubka was rarely below 9.8 and was up to 10.1 with clearances.

I would think Collet was up there along with Botha. Probably Pyotr Bochkaryov also. The data in the paper isn't comprehensive by any means.
Last edited by achtungpv on Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

athgeek
PV Beginner

Unread postby athgeek » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:08 pm

Is McGinnis using a radar gun? Or, counting video frames over some measured distance?

Either way, I'm anxious to see what Lavillene's mps number is.
Vault high...land on something soft :)

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:19 am

good morning

From the available data (granted just several meets over a couple of years), every single vaulter missed 100% of the time when running over 10.0 except for Bubka and once or twice by Gataullin. Clearances occurred when running between 9.5-9.8. Above that, the extra speed apparently introduced technical errors. Bubka was rarely below 9.8 and was up to 10.1 with clearances.

i think wrong pole - wrong grip could have played a roll in this result.

it's difficult to trust that a pole or grip that only one man seemed to "fear" less than most would work, even with that speed.

persoanlly i feel any of those 10+ vaulters could and should reach WR heights..

i would be interested in the stride lengths with the times.. and see if we can put together some 6 stride "MIDS".. back in the stone ages when i checked Dial, Dup, Buckinghamm etc.. the "MIDS" were in line with my chart.. physical height and leg length didn't matter.. speed did.. and much of my info came from Perters results.

needless to say if we continue to see those runs we are in for some fun results... can't wait to see them in Berlin in person.. i do plan on getting all the 6 step data.

dj
Last edited by dj on Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:09 am, edited 4 times in total.

carvaulter
PV Newbie

Unread postby carvaulter » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:42 am

Here is the video. Make of it what you will. He looks pretty fast to me...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ntUvs5O54Y

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby Bubba PV » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:30 am

DJ - you've seen the same charts as me, and in many cases the associated video and I agree with your assessment. Good call Dev - I forgot the high number of misses with 10 m/s+.

BTW - DJ we need to talk. I'm working on a healthcare project in Dubai and may be coming your way soon. Bubba
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:19 am

hey Bubba

i'll be in Germany until August 25.. then there is the month of Ramadan in Islamic countries...

but will be glad to pass on any connections i can pull together..

everyone will want to spaeak english with you so there misn't much need to brush up on some Arabic...

later

dj

Return to “Pole Vault - International”