Isinbayeva to star in Daegu

News about pole vault competitions that occur outside the US and international pole vaulters.
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Isinbayeva to star in Daegu

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:21 am

http://www.iaaf.org/news/kind=100/newsid=47827.html

Beijing Olympic champions Isinbayeva and Bungei to star in Daegu

Yelena Isinbayeva acknowledges the crowd in Shanghai, 20 Sep 2008 (Getty Images)
relnews

The Colorful Daegu Pre-Championships meeting, the fourth annual international meeting in Daegu, Korea, takes place tomorrow Thursday 25 September.

There is another strong line-up at the 66,000 capacity Daegu Stadium, which will be the venue for the 13th IAAF World Championships in Athletics, Daegu 2011. A total of 132 athletes of which 91 are from abroad have entered for this year’s meeting which in its previous editions is probably best remembered for the 19.65sec PB 200m performance by Wallace Spearmon (USA) in 2006. This time still makes Spearmon the fifth fastest runner of all-time at the distance.

Isinbayeva - Win streak now into double figures

The most decorated athlete competing is Russian world record holder and multiple global champion Yelena Isinbayeva who comes to Korea from in Shanghai, China last weekend where she won her tenth straight Pole Vault competition. The 26-year-old has a combined total of 24 World records indoors (10) and outdoors (14) and has cleared 4.70m in 61 competitions during career. Her 5.05m World record and Olympic winning result was the fourth World record during this season, 1 indoors and 3 outdoors.

Barto
PV Great

Re: Isinbayeva to star in Daegu

Unread postby Barto » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:27 am

Look for Janson, Dragila, and Bartolina in the women's vault.
Facts, Not Fiction

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:10 am

http://english.kbs.co.kr/news/newsview_ ... 2008092508

Isinbayeva, who posted a world record in the women’s pole vault during the Beijing Olympics, told reporters ahead of the opening ceremony for the Daegu Pre-Championships that she will seek to achieve a world record that no one will break for a century.

I don't think she's ever set a WR in any of these late season Asian meets.

Barto
PV Great

Unread postby Barto » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:31 am

1 Isinbayeva - 4.65
2 Hingst - 4.55
3 Polnova - 4.45
4 Bartolina - 4.45

Janson - 4.30
Dragila - 4.30?
Facts, Not Fiction

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:40 am

Nice job Erica!

shevaulter
PV Newbie

Unread postby shevaulter » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:59 pm

I wanted to say good job Erica if this is your last meet enjoy the rest!!

and also I think that was way too bold of a statement for Yelena to make this late in the season.

http://english.kbs.co.kr/news/newsview_ ... 2008092508

Isinbayeva, who posted a world record in the women’s pole vault during the Beijing Olympics, told reporters ahead of the opening ceremony for the Daegu Pre-Championships that she will seek to achieve a world record that no one will break for a century.

Her meets were 4.72 and 4.60 leading up to Daegu. I know.. the conditions were bad, the weather, she was sick, the track was blue not red.. but other girls jumped alot closer to their p.r.'s. I really hope someone close to her tells her to stop this. It makes her look bad. Hey Yelena, 4.60 is a long ways away from a world record that no one will break in a century. If you don't have it in you this late in the season, it's better just to say that than make yourself look bad.

KLocke
PV Whiz

Unread postby KLocke » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:50 pm

15 feet never appears bad on September 25. How high did you jump today? If this bothers you, I would suggest that you not pay attention to how far off the sprinters are from their PB's in their most recent comps.

my 2 cents

shevaulter wrote:
I really hope someone close to her tells her to stop this. It makes her look bad. Hey Yelena, 4.60 is a long ways away from a world record that no one will break in a century. If you don't have it in you this late in the season, it's better just to say that than make yourself look bad.

shevaulter
PV Newbie

Unread postby shevaulter » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:16 pm

15' in September is a good jump but when you say that you will be seeking a world record that will not be broken for centuries then 15' looks horrible. If you read closely you will be able to tell that if she just jumped then people would say 15' is good but now it looks like a huge disappointment. I didn't read anything about the sprinters saying they were going to put the world record out of reach did you so no one is irritated with them?? Oh and you asked how high I jumped, where did I claim that I jumped high or jumped for that matter! ha ha...so silly.

VaultLove
PV Whiz

Unread postby VaultLove » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:33 pm

Yelena's win streak is now in double figures. Impressive...

BruceFlorman
PV Lover

Unread postby BruceFlorman » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:43 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:http://english.kbs.co.kr/news/newsview_sub.php?menu=7&key=2008092508

I don't think she's ever set a WR in any of these late season Asian meets.

Only once in her career has she broken the WR after the season's big meet - in 2004 she jumped 4.92 in Brussels 10 days after the final in Athens. And that year the MVD was still only her sixth competition of the summer. It appears that she only ever has enough gas in the tank for about six peak form competitions in a season. In the summer of '04 she only competed seven times, while in each of the last four summers she's competed 11 or 12 times.

On the other hand, I wouldn't exactly bet the farm on the veracity of that little news blurb. That was almost certainly just a paraphrasing of her earlier statement about wanting to eventually set a record that stands for a hundred years, rather than a prediction for today. She's never (seriously) attempted to raise the WR by more than 5 cm at one time, so if she actually said what the article suggests, then they need to check the basement for pods.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:18 pm

I would suggest that those of you - and there appear to be many - who continually snipe at Yelena, should let it go until you have actually met and talked with her. If you have ever had any dealings with the media you will know full well that they are usually more interested in creating THE story than presenting the truth of what has been said. I realise that she is not American - which of course is a major strike against her as far as many folk are concerned, because jingoism is always lurking just below the surface on PVP - but she is a lovely person with time for anyone who wants to talk sensibly with her. :yes:

If you really want to discuss arrogant claims you should take a look at the comments of the head coach of the US track and field team who, in an interview before the games, announced that the Chinese people would know the words of the US National Anthem by heart after competition had finished because they would have heard it so often. At least Yelena backed up any claims she made before the games in the actual competition. :yes:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

slvr1969
PV Whiz
Favorite Vaulter: Yelena Isinbayeva

Unread postby slvr1969 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:59 pm

Return to “Pole Vault - International”