best drills

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
nitro
PV Master

best drills

Unread postby nitro » Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:45 pm

what are the best drills for the top part of the jump....im not just talking on a pole i know there are sit ups and things like that but anything else?
pain is only temporary victory is forever

fong520
PV Pro

Unread postby fong520 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:29 pm

my coach has me in a sitting position like the L position on the ground. he stands on teh end of the pole or puts it agianst a wall. and we just pull turn and push. but with a smaller pole so it bends a bit and it helps for me to drop my shoulders and raise my hips during the vault
i run, therefore im buff.

polevaulter08nw
PV Master
Expertise: College Vaulter, Coach
Lifetime Best: 5.40
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillinie

Unread postby polevaulter08nw » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:36 pm

im confused fong?
PR: 5.40
Indiana University '13
University of North Carolina '12

ADTF Academy
PV Follower

Unread postby ADTF Academy » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:33 pm

Heres a good one for ya to work on the top with a bend.

Build a platform you can lay on that is big enough for you to be able to roll over and not fall off it. Put wheels on the bottom so it rolls easily.

Next buy a 10 foot long 1" thickness PVC pipe. You can buy different wall thickness if you want a thinner wall will be softer a thicker wall will be stiffer.

Next sit on the platform in the "U" or "L" position whatever term you use.

Next put the PVC pipe in your hand and hold on with a normal grip and the end of the pipe against a corner of two walls or someone holding it steady.

Next have someone pull the platform towards the stationary end so the PVC pipe starts to bend. Once it has a decent bend in it the person should let go of the platform.

You perform the the proper top and rotation and keep the top arm as close to you. Even with a lesser top arm pulling action the platform will still move (as long as you didn't buy super cheap wheels)

You should work on this first with a straight pole so that you notice the difference between you having to do the work and when the shorten pole is bent and it uncoils and lengths. In that case the lengthening pole does most of the work you just need to stay as close to it as possible.

EIUvltr
PV Pro
Expertise: Ex-collegiate pole vaulter B.S. Exercise Science ACSM personal trainer

Unread postby EIUvltr » Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:20 pm

don't put too much emphasis on drills for the top of your jump, focus more on your plant and an efficient energy conversion from the runway thru your takeoff leg into the vault (taking off out with an active takeoff foot). If you have a good plant your swing will be very powerful and the top end will occur pretty naturally or at least much easier.

I never do any top end drills but mine is continuing to get better as I improve everything preceeding it: run, plant, swing..

Also remember to actively row with your left arm when you are swinging to change the axis of rotation to your left hand instead of your right and you will get upside down faster than you'll believe.
"If he dies, he dies"

polevaulter08nw
PV Master

Unread postby polevaulter08nw » Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:58 pm

that makes sence
Indiana University '13

nitro
PV Master

Unread postby nitro » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:07 pm

ok just wondering right now i am tucking and shooting...im trying to not do it but i dont wanna screw anything up for indoor state so ill fix it at the beginning of outdoors but would that help me come off the top better.......wouldnt it keep the pole bent longer so i would have more time to get there?

polevaulter08nw
PV Master

Unread postby polevaulter08nw » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:25 pm

personaly i think that it would because of bubkas jumps, yet then i look at all american vaulters (that i've seen) and they all tuck at one point in the vault, i tuck and shoot as well, but i have started little by little getting away fromt he tuck, if that helps.
Indiana University '13

nitro
PV Master

Unread postby nitro » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:38 pm

well i have seen the elite in every level and ya they tuck a little but im talking about tucking a lot ill try to post a video if i can

cpmathis
PV Newbie

Unread postby cpmathis » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:15 pm

When you say top part of the jump I assume you mean the swing, turn and shoot. And all those drills are good for the swing. But for the turn and shoot Gill Athletics makes what the call a Vault Trainer where you hang by your feet unsidedown on a pulley and hold onto a fiberglass handle on the other end of the cable to balance yourself. It's great training for the shoot and the turn portion of your vault. Also is good as a strength trainer. It is kinda expensive however. Anyway here's link.

http://www.gillathletics.com/GillItemVi ... FSID=TA190

nitro
PV Master

Unread postby nitro » Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:20 pm

ooo i dont like that thing ive tried a home made one and it broke and i landed on my head then on gills i still landed on my head....some reason they dont like me

vaultman18
PV Pro
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby vaultman18 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:23 pm

stiff pole vaults and rope

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”