back pain

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
MillerTime
PV Whiz

back pain

Unread postby MillerTime » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:04 am

i was at a meet saturday, and i tweaked my back or something. during a vault, i got alittle too vertical, and i started to do a backflip almost, i got scared and jerked my body quick. (made the height by the way) anywho, my back hurt for the rest of the meet. i tried to jog on monday, and couldnt, it really hurt and i didnt want to mess it up more. today (tuesday) it felt better, i tried jogging, and it hurt for the first few steps, and then it stopped hurting. but it still hurts when i bend over. is there anything i can do to make it go away faster? will ice help? or are there any stretches/excercises i can do?
thanks!
heyhey

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:05 am

Sounds like something you should see a doctor for.

wakesurfvault
PV Fan

Unread postby wakesurfvault » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:46 am

Lots of hip/hamstring stretches help out a bit for mine.

ACvault
PV Pro
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby ACvault » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:22 am

i had the same problem a little while ago. leaning on one of those big medicine balls helped me, and also just a lot of ice.

thaone600
PV Nerd

Unread postby thaone600 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:36 am

icing does help alot also calcium helps your musscles so you could try taking some of those pills. depends on what part of your back that you tweaked for the stretch but i have a pulled musscle in my back right now and i just lay on the ground and put my feet over my head onto the ground. if that doesnt help the try doing that but twisting your back a little to either side to get the right part of your back

izzystikchik
PV Follower
Location: MARQUETTE UNIVERSITY in Milwaukee, WI. ~ My home town is in OakPark, IL

Unread postby izzystikchik » Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:17 pm

I am a back injury with legs! I know this is late, maybe you're still hurting or healed i'm not sure. Just one thing for you to remember, don't screw with you back, it'll come back to bite you later! Listen to your pain and don't risk something big for something stupid ;)

cpmathis
PV Newbie

Unread postby cpmathis » Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:13 pm

Yeah don't mess around with back pain, let it heal. I had a season wasted from it and so did some of my teammates.

LPVG
PV Fan

Back Pain

Unread postby LPVG » Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:33 am

Take it from a guy that has has back surgery and has gone through extensive rehab. Don't take your pain lightly. I'm also assuming you are talking about the lower back (L4-5). Rest, ice and elevation. You want your back to heal before jumping again. Try sleeping on your back with pillows under your knees so that your legs are at right angles to your hips when they are resting on the pillowws. Another one is to put a fairly stiff pillow under your hips and lay on your stomach on the floor for about 20 minutes. You should feel your back begin to relax. You can do the same thing with a medium or large plyometric ball

If the pain doesn't go away. go see your MD. He will want an x-ray and might recommend anti-inflammatories along with rest or active recovery. If you still don't get relief, push your MD for an MRI. That should tell the story on your injury.

If you are good to go, continue to work on ab strength, hip flexor and periformas stretching before and after practice. Let me know how you are doing. I have a bunch of core strength exercises designed to strengthen the back.
Good luck

CrossBarHOpper
PV Pro

Unread postby CrossBarHOpper » Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:30 pm

I ve had lower back pains for three days now so i visited my docter today and they put the electroids on me and some ultra sounds helped a little. subscribe me some anti-inflamitorys and naproxen-sodium and have to go back to the docters for the electroid thereapy for a week or so they said

I miss Vioxx :crying: jk
hey guys! Abe Lincoln?
Sophmore PR 14'6"

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”