Off-season Training

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
Noctlos
PV Newbie

Off-season Training

Unread postby Noctlos » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:14 pm

The rules here are that in the off season, you can't train with your coach. I was just wondering what workouts you guys do on the off season to further prepare you for the track season. Any help would be great.
... and thats it

HcVaulter
PV Beginner

Unread postby HcVaulter » Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:32 pm

Whoa, you can't train with your coach in the off season? You kidding me? That really sucks, not that I get to meet up with my coach but yea, I would if I could... I didn't know that.

Get in the Weight room and get to a pit and practice form and such... run and workout on the track or wherever you can do sprints and such, but basically just hit the weight room and work on ur sprint muscles... and also ur biceps, triceps, and shoulders...
PR - 14'6 in practice... 12'6 meet
Obsessed with Pole Vault

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:15 pm

Try to find a USATF club to join that is functional through out the year. If one isn't available, start your own. Contact USATF for more info on how to do it. That way if you can find a place to vault, I believe the insurance will cover you if you have a club. I'm sure others on this forum can give you better info on the "club" deal. Nothin' says you can't "talk" to your coach is there? You know what we say, us vaulters can't have a conversation with anybody without pole vaulting coming up. Just have a couple of "conversations" with him and I'm sure he'll give you plenty of ideas to keep you busy on the off season. Later..........Mike

Noctlos
PV Newbie

Unread postby Noctlos » Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:04 pm

thanks souleman, I'll try. I am almost positive that there is no club around my area (South-East Idaho), because the state doesn't care about track. To most of the schools, it's like training their athletes for football or basketball, which really blows. Our Pole vault team is small. Oh, and about using the pits. Here goes: have to have a coach or faculty there, but no coach is allowed to do practices off-season... so my ONLY chance is to get another member of the lazy faculty of my school to do that... or start a club. I'll try for the club. But no guarentees it will follow through. Thanks for the wight training and sprint tips Hc.
... and thats it

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”