Taking it to the next level

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
BaileyGardnerMSSU
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14'8
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Mike Vani

Taking it to the next level

Unread postby BaileyGardnerMSSU » Mon May 09, 2016 11:09 am

Hey everyone, I am a 14'8 vaulter who is currently senior in high school. I have the opportunity to further my pole vault career into college at Missouri Southern State University next year. I am a smaller guy, 5'7 140lbs. When I went to visit the campus the first thing I noticed was the overall massive size of everyone in the vault program. I am by far going to be the smallest one, so I was wondering if anyone would have any summer training advise as to workouts that would help me gain weight, strength, size, and help relate to pole vault. (Running, lifting, vaulting, etc.) Thank you for any feed back! It will be greatly appreciated!

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: Taking it to the next level

Unread postby KirkB » Mon May 09, 2016 2:38 pm

BaileyGardnerMSSU wrote: I was wondering if anyone would have any summer training advise as to workouts that would help me gain weight, strength, size, and help relate to pole vault. (Running, lifting, vaulting, etc.)

That's a discussion that you should have with your prospective coach. He will know your strengths and weaknesses far better than us.

Ask him exactly what you asked us here, and he'll be glad to set you up. He'll also be impressed with your desire to train through the summer in preparation for starting their vaulting program in the fall.

A summer training program set up by the coach of your target college will be far more beneficial to you than anything that you get from PVP. Have you asked him yet? :confused:

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Re: Taking it to the next level

Unread postby powerplant42 » Fri May 20, 2016 12:21 pm

A couple of these should do the trick:

https://youtu.be/IBbRmuPTHNQ?t=44

:yes:
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”