Lower back injury

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
lmshil
PV Beginner
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Steve Hooker

Lower back injury

Unread postby lmshil » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:19 pm

Does anyone else have problems with a muscle in their lower back when they plant from a full approach? It doesnt bug me when im taking short approches but when im up to full speed from a 7 step, when i plant sometimes ill get a shooting pain up my lower back/back of the hip reigion, and itll hurt for the rest of the day. Also i havent really found an effective way to strech it. Also its only in my left side of my lower back as im a righty vaulter. Thanks
Failure only makes you want success even more

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: Lower back injury

Unread postby KirkB » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:28 pm

This is a common problem with vaulters of any age. It's because you're getting jerked at takeoff. With a free takeoff (jumping into the takeoff from far enough back), you won't have this problem. But that's easier said than done.

Meanwhile, I wouldn't continue to aggravate it until it's fully healed. Sitting in a whirlpool or hot tub will help circulate your blood to the area. Sorry if that means you'll miss some competitions.

You could also warm it up just prior to vaulting with some topical heat treatments or vapor rubs.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Cooleo111
PV Pro
Expertise: HS/College/Post-collegiate vaulter, coach
Lifetime Best: 4.80

Unread postby Cooleo111 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:10 pm

I would go see an orthopedic doctor and get an x-ray. Fractures are much more common than "pulled muscles" in your lower back. Kirk is right in either case, you will need a period of rest/immobilization. After feeling better and being cleared by a medical professional, your long-term technical and health goal should be a free takeoff. :yes:

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:58 am

I'm no orthopedic surgeon or physiotherapist, but I don't think it's a fracture - I think it's a pulled muscle.

I think it's bad advice to suggest an x-ray (but a doctor's visit wouldn't hurt - to err on the safe side). I think the doctor will just suggest physiotherapy.

Without any endorsement implied (I've never tried this product - I've only heard about it from a lousy free-thrower) here's another idea: https://www.ispot.tv/ad/7Gri/icy-hot-smart-relief-turn-off-pain-featuring-shaquille-oneal

There. I've given my opinion and I'll shut up now.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Cooleo111
PV Pro
Expertise: HS/College/Post-collegiate vaulter, coach
Lifetime Best: 4.80

Unread postby Cooleo111 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:37 pm

I'm no orthopedic surgeon or physiotherapist

I am...if your problem continues please see a professional. Your parents most likely have insurance for problems like this. If for some reason you'd rather avoid the doctor, then feel free to team up with Shaq. :dazed:

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:57 pm

Ouch!

Your professional advice trumps my layman's advice! Sorry.

Kirk

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:03 pm

Could be related to the piriformis and sciatic nerve. Massage is better than stretching in that case. Chiropractic is another possibility too.

However, one stretch that might help is to lay on a bed with the hips off, legs down, feet off the ground, like you're sliding off. Then push the stomach up. Play around with that.

I'd also recommend more core strength exercises... Back, obliques, abdominals.
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”