Run Speed

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
PV Wannabe

Run Speed

Unread postby 95 » Thu May 26, 2005 11:40 pm

One of my goals for next season is to increase my runway speed. I basically understand how weights and plyo are an important part of the process. However, I am in the dark about what types of running I should do on the track, especially considering that I'm starting so early. Any specific running workouts or books on what runs to do and how to periodize them to peak much later would be appreciated.

ryansanta
PV Whiz

Unread postby ryansanta » Fri May 27, 2005 1:19 am

http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/speed-training.htm

A lot of interesting things can be found on there.

As for how to periodize them I'm looking into that myself so I don't get burnt out from a full year of training.

mikepv1
Muahahahaha!!

Unread postby mikepv1 » Fri May 27, 2005 1:39 am

If you are going the route of periodization...

There is a book that can tell you what training elements to use and how and when to use them based on your goals. It goes in depth into interval training, speed, overspeed, underspeed, speed endurance, endurance, plyometrics, calisthenics, weight training, how to mix and match these, and how to periodize them. It's the most complete single resource on periodized training that I know of. Unfortunately, it is a fairly expensive book ($60--about like buying a college textbook). It is called Supertraining. You can get it on Amazon.com.

Here is the link.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00065X0MY/qid=1117172006/sr=8-2/ref=pd_csp_2/103-5637632-4279023?v=glance&s=sporting-goods&n=507846
"For a few seconds, it is as if you are a bird."
-Sergei Bubka

JTred
PV Whiz

Unread postby JTred » Sun May 29, 2005 4:03 pm

I forget where I read it (it might have been www.pvei.com) but they said that you will increase your runway speed more if you do sprinting drills (hops, karaoke, sprints) while carrying a pole. I think it said that you'll increase your regular sprint speed the same as if you did the drills without a pole also.

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:19 am

go to the mid mark chart in this section..

set up three lanes on the track

first lane will have mid and stride chalk marks 1 foot under the run mid that matches what your pr vault mid should be..

second lane has the mid you should hit for your pr and grip..

third lanes has the mid for one foot above your pr...

run these as speed training... twice a week or as a warm up to vaulting sessions....full runs with the pole and plant into a towel..

hit the chalk marks everytime and hopefullyyou will feel like you are chopping your steps

you will get faster and more comsistant and can plant better...

dj
Come out of the back... Get your feet down... Plant big

LancerVaulter07
PV Pro

Unread postby LancerVaulter07 » Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:59 am

run hills. it sounds crazy but find a nice hill, about 15 yards
or so long, no need to go too crazy but sprint the hill as hard
and as fast as you can. it helps in explosion and getting a real
good drive off of each step. it should help your speed noticibly
if you keep up with it. good luck
"Just Fly"

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”