Pre-season Training

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
kbader97
PV Newbie
Expertise: current high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 9'0"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: sergei Bubka

Pre-season Training

Unread postby kbader97 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:05 pm

So I'm about a novice pole vaulter last year was my first year vaulting and I PR'd at 9'. i started late and this year im a junior so i want to progress as much as i possibly can before senior year and I want to come into this season ready to go. I've been looking for a good training plan and tips on better vaulting but i cant find a good training plan that fits with what i have; I don't have access to a full gym or a pit until January all i have at home is some dumbbells and sure if im an ideal size or if i need to a pull up bar. I'm 5'8" and 120 pounds and I'm not sure if i need to try to gain more muscle mass or if i need to target specific muscles in workouts. let me know what y'all think any input helps!

Gary_vaulter
PV Fan
Expertise: HS/MS Coach, 81' HS State_Champ, Parent, Master's PR - 10'8" in June 2015
Lifetime Best: 13'3"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren

Re: Pre-season Training

Unread postby Gary_vaulter » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:27 pm

Sit-ups, push-ups, and crunches are a good start.
DO you have access to a climbing rope? Rope drills are a big plus. (I'm sure someone can explain this better than me but here it goes)
- Grab the rope like you would if it was a pole and you had planted it. Now, keeping your left leg straight (if you're right handed) drive your right knee forward and up. Swinging the left leg after the knee, rock back and bring your feet to the rope and pull your hips up the rope. Do 6 of these. Do 3 sets a day. That strengthens a lot of the stuff you need to vault.

Also - pole runs/plant drills. Do you have access to a pole and a about 40 yards of clear running space? I'm not sure what the optimal "pole run" distance is but at least do the same distance you were using in your vault. Repetition in sprinting with the pole, carrying the pole properly, and starting the plant early are pretty important and can get wonky when you are starting out. We've spent your whole life til now telling you NOT to run with sticks. Now we want you to do it very quickly and accurately. You need to be able to do it (properly) without giving it much thought.

There is a TON of stuff you can find on the internet to do training wise but this stuff is a good start for someone who is without coaching and is serious about improving.

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”