Drills to help with my vault?

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
KiskiAreaPoleVaulter
PV Newbie
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter, Current Collegiate Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.01m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Michael Seaman
Location: Pennsylvania State University Erie, The Behrend College

Drills to help with my vault?

Unread postby KiskiAreaPoleVaulter » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:34 am

I was wondering if there are any good drills to help me nail down some of my problems in the vault. I have trouble rowing and keeping the left leg straight. If there are any good drills please let me know. Thank you for your help!

advath
PV Whiz
Expertise: I have coached a 13' high school girl, 17' high school boy, NCAA Champion and number 1 HS sprinters

Re: Drills to help with my vault?

Unread postby advath » Sun May 10, 2015 5:06 am

The correct Biomechanical term for the shoulder action in the swing up is shoulder extension. The Pole Vault Swing Up Rack is the best most efficient training exercise to develop the hip flexor, abdominal and shoulder strength to make your swing long, strong and fast. The Pole Vault Swing Up Rack maintains resistance in the hip flexors, abs and shoulders throughout the swing up.
Watch "Pole Vault Swing Up Rack" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/kPPYKywwA18
Swing Up Rack drill http://www.advantageathletics.com/polevault/rack.htm

coachstark
PV Beginner
Expertise: College Coach/ All- American Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.13m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Re: Drills to help with my vault?

Unread postby coachstark » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:50 pm

PV Swing up rack is ideal for your shoulder extension, and would highly recommend!

In addition, two drills I use for my athletes that focus on your trail leg are:

1.) Approach pole runs with a mini hurdle 1-1.5ft from your take off step to help mentally focus on keeping your trail leg back. The goal is to take off aggressively, yet tap your back toe on the mini hurdle. Make sure you do not cheat yourself by not having an explosive take off just to make sure you hit the hurdle. Both should be dynamic.

2.) Similar to the swing up rack, place an aerobic ball (slightly deflated) in-between your legs as you work through the same inversion motion. It not only helps keep pressure on your trail leg, but also focuses on great separation as you initiate your swing.

Let me know if those help! Fly high!

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”