developing the "right" muscles

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
squalicumvaulter07
PV Fan

developing the "right" muscles

Unread postby squalicumvaulter07 » Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:44 am

i posted this as part of a reply to another post, but here it comes again because a lot of you are asking for training ideas.

the best way to train is the right way. put in an effort when you are working out, and set goals.

when you are lifting weights, the reps are more important than the weight of what you are lifting. if you do slow reps with a heavy weight you are building heavy slow twitch muscles. more reps with a slightly lighter weight will build leaner muscles, translating into speed.

leg lifts are a good excersize if you have a bar available to practice on, or swing ups.

the same goes with running. short distances at high speed are key for polevault. try sprinting between 40 and 60 yards (more than one please you slackers). jogging miles and miles builds up slow twitch muscles. short sprints build fast twitch muscles. fast twitch muscles build runway speed.

i hope that clears a few things up.
ill go back and sit in the corner of civic field now.
biting my nails excitedly for upcoming the outdoor season..
courtney christine..

so the good news is that you don't have ADD.. the bad news is that you have 4 months to live.
well it's 4:30 and this was a very short practice.
are you calling me fat?

squalicum pole vault practice.. good times

DFW-ELITEpv
PV Wannabe

Unread postby DFW-ELITEpv » Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:55 pm

How old are u and who has been training u. What u have posted is correct.Have u read this in a book? Just curious. There is some many EXPERTS on this site.

C-townvault
PV Whiz

Unread postby C-townvault » Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:04 pm

the reps are more important than the weight of what you are lifting. if you do slow reps with a heavy weight you are building heavy slow twitch muscles. more reps with a slightly lighter weight will build leaner muscles, translating into speed.

Every lifting regimen that i have seen suggests low reps high weights.

By having "leaner" muscle, how does that help speed?
Doesn't that follow the same idea as running longer distance/miles?

As far as lifting goes, I have been told explosiveness is the important factor in doing the lifts.

For example: Power Cleans 4x8 @ 75% and Snatches 4x6 @ 80%
High Weights, low reps, explosive movements.

advath
PV Whiz
Expertise: I have coached a 13' high school girl, 17' high school boy, NCAA Champion and number 1 HS sprinters

Unread postby advath » Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:41 pm

At Advantage Athletics our workouts are put into cycles. Similar workouts last from 2-6 weeks. The way our cycles are designed, we never do the same workout for more than 4 weeks. That is per the USA Olympic Training Center, Chula Vista.

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:21 pm

DFW-ELITEpv wrote:How old are u and who has been training u. What u have posted is correct.Have u read this in a book? Just curious. There is some many EXPERTS on this site.

I'm not sure which one of the squalicum vaulters she is. Her coach is in my opinion one of the best in the state of WA-Rodney Kamenga (sp?)
An optimist is one who sees a light in darkness....a pessimist blows it out.

squalicumvaulter07
PV Fan

Unread postby squalicumvaulter07 » Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:33 pm

I'm not sure which one of the squalicum vaulters she is. Her coach is in my opinion one of the best in the state of WA-Rodney Kamenga (sp?)

haha. that is quite the compliment for him.. im sure it with put a sparkle in his eyes.

if i am correct you coach burlington.. and i wouldn't exactly call you a bad coach. i mean really. look at who you've put out. Aaron Stroud, Warren Brown, Courtney Doughty... they performed well. VERY WELL. one thing though... a girl you have, i think her name is Bri or something. her pole pushing down the runway frusterated me. its a lot easier to bend the pole when you dont have to do a real plant. lol. SHES GOT POTENTIAL MY GOOD MAN! tell her to lift it up!

but anyways, my name is courtney violette, im a sophmore and right now im the only female vaulter at squalicum.

we just gotta keep our league ahead of the state. as it always has been.
NWL. word. ;)
courtney christine..

so the good news is that you don't have ADD.. the bad news is that you have 4 months to live.

are you calling me fat?

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:11 pm

squalicumvaulter07 wrote:...one thing though... a girl you have, i think her name is Bri or something. her pole pushing down the runway frusterated me. its a lot easier to bend the pole when you dont have to do a real plant. lol. SHES GOT POTENTIAL MY GOOD MAN! tell her to lift it up!

What do you care if she pushes it down the runway or lifts it up? Are you saying that it's easier to bend the pole by pushing it? If so, then why not push it if it's easier? Would you choose to carry it simply because it makes it more difficult? If she's got potential, do you honestly think pushing the pole is holding her back?

In my experience, I have at least a half dozen vaulters who push the pole and can jump a foot higher pushing than they can carrying, and it's not like they've never practiced carrying.

Our club's top 5 girl pole pusher's high school pr's:

13'1.5
12'0
11'6
11'4
10'8

Tye Harvey jumped 18'9 in Reno pushing.

Sorry if it seems like I'm attacking you here, not my intention. Just defending a very valid style/method/technique for vaulting.
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:42 pm

lonestar wrote:
Our club's top 5 girl pole pusher's high school pr's:

"pole pushers" just makes me LOL for some reason.

Yep I coach at burlington and it is Bri. I'm torn on the issue. It frustrates me to have all of these worn thru tips. I teach it initially mostly b/c I only have one day a week to coach. I find that they progress a lot faster when they don't have to think about planting a pole. If I had 2-3 days a week to coach I'm not sure if I would have them do it. I also coach a B school- Mount Vernon Christian who get even less time to vault with me. The past two years I've coached two different girls for them that won state pushing the pole and another girl placed 3rd. I hear it's creating a comotion at the B/1a/2a state meet.

Yeah Bri has a lot of potential. Beacause she is so athletic and tall she also a great basket ball and volley ball player so she misses a lot because evey coach wants her to concentrate on the sport they coach. I think I got her hooked on the vault near the end of the season will see!

squalicumvaulter07
PV Fan

LOL

Unread postby squalicumvaulter07 » Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:56 pm

wow. LOL. thats a keeper.

im totally not attacking her planting. and im not saying people should be planting because its more difficult. im just saying that people with athletic talent dont need to be pushing. why not challenge yourself and learn to plant.

you will also notice that i didnt say she was bad. shes great. she was a freshman vaulter, and was 9'0 (maybe over?). im just saying that shes talented and could push herself. sory if that came out the wrong way.

rob. you are a great coach and finding out that you work more than one school is even more impressive. i am not questioning your coaching. you know whats best more than i do. obviously. im impressed.

sorry if it seems like im being too critical.
courtney christine..

are you calling me fat?

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Re: LOL

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:34 pm

squalicumvaulter07 wrote:rob. you are a great coach and finding out that you work more than one school is even more impressive. i am not questioning your coaching. you know whats best more than i do. obviously. im impressed.

sorry if it seems like im being too critical.

I didn't take any offense. I understand why you asked the question. :yes:

izzystikchik
PV Follower
Location: MARQUETTE UNIVERSITY in Milwaukee, WI. ~ My home town is in OakPark, IL

Unread postby izzystikchik » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:32 pm

Hi, I really hope that people are still viewing this string. I have some questions for you coaches and experts.
I'm a senior in highschool right now, and i'm stuck on a platue.
(oh by the way, i've been enjoying your little string here, i think it's humerous) What do you guys mean by pushing and carrying the pole? I've never heard those terms before.
Anyway, i'm a 10+ jumper and i need help mechanically I get an OK run down the runway and my step is within range. I try to rock back but I can't ever get past 11 o'clock. How do you rock back?
please help me. I try to row down with my arm (keep pressure up with both hands) and then i really trys to swing but i feel that it doesn't click.
HELP :crying:

vaulter894
PV Nerd

Unread postby vaulter894 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:44 pm

here is a way to get passed 11 o clock http://www.advantageathletics.com/polevault/molnar.html and i think pushing means you leave the pole on the runway while you run, not hold it in the air i think?
Go BIG or Go HOME

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”