how to? 20/20 drill right?

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
straightup
PV Nerd
Expertise: current high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14-3
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: lazaro borges

how to? 20/20 drill right?

Unread postby straightup » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:18 pm

hey i wanna know more info on the 20/20 drill and any tips pointers on how to do it right. thanks
get over or get out

wwstrand
PV Newbie
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter, Current High School Coach, Fan
Lifetime Best: 12'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Brad Walker

Re: how to? 20/20 drill right?

Unread postby wwstrand » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:16 am

It looks like it has been a long time since you posted this... if you're still curious, here you go!

My experience of this drill comes from a video "The Art and Science of Teaching the Pole Vault". In this video, Alan Launder, a popular Australian coach and author of "From Beginner to Bubka", explains the drill as finishing 20 short, powerful high knees within 20 m or about 65.5 ft. The goal is to not finish early (18 or less steps) or not finish at all (21+ steps) when you do this drill for 20 m, while still having good form. However, the form comes first, and then the control of steps.

The form consists of high knees that are powerful, yet quick. The athlete shouldn't be pounding the floor with their feet in order to obtain the power, but they should be able to make a 90 degree (parallel to the floor) with their thigh/knee, and have their toe dorsiflexed (toes on the drive knee's foot pointing up). The movement must be quick enough to cover twenty steps within the distance.

This drill emphasizes form for running and take off, as well as conditioning your body to memorize this form naturally. That is, you won't have to think about this when you vault and thus can focus on other more important aspects of the vault. A powerful drive knee is key in the vault, and I hope you know why.

If anyone thinks I am incorrect in some way, please post. I hope this helps you and anyone else who decides to check this out! :)

grandevaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: Three year highschool vaulter 1978-80. Now coaching highschoolers and competing in masters.
Lifetime Best: 11'
Favorite Vaulter: Timothy Mack

Re: how to? 20/20 drill right?

Unread postby grandevaulter » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:32 pm

A post from Altius on this subject:

Re: 20/20 drill.
Postby altius » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:14 pm

No - the objective is NOT to get athletes running at specific stride length BUT to help them learn how to control their strides over the last six steps of the run up. This is necessary because they have spent their lives extending both stride length and increasing cadence as they run faster - not a problem f you are sprinting -in fact ehe only way TO RUN FASTER. However in the vault you must not come into to take off over striding - so we have to help them relearn a running pattern . Now to run fast over the last six we increase cadence -BUT maintain the stride length of the previous stride through to take off - obviously with some minor adjustments over the last two steps that should be intuitive - not taught.

20/20 is not sacrosanct - older athletes I am mentoring are doing 20 in 25 metres and 20 in 30 metres - this is taking them closer towards the stride length of their actual run up, while still helping them learn to control their stride length.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”