Looking for a place to train for 2010-2011

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Looking for a place to train for 2010-2011

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:52 am

I have tried both Coaching and vaulting this year and it is very difficult. I want to try and reach my potential and learn as much about the sport as I can before I hang it up for good. So I am looking for potentially a place to move to to train, and possibly be coached depending on the philosphy of the coach. I am ready to give 100% time and effort to be as good as I can be. I am training to the best of my abilities in hope to jump around 5.50 this summer. I don't feel like I can train at the level I want to while coaching and I also don't feel like I coach as good as I can while trying to train at the same time.
I am living in illinois now, I am from Oklahoma... And my best friend (and his wife) and my girl friend are all in AZ right now. I would love to move some where warm, but I would be willing to go to the best situation even if its in Anartica.

Please don't judge me :) When I was jumping 14ft in highschool I remember coaches telling me that they thought I could possibly jump 16ft in college. By the end of my senior year I was coming in at 5.05- 16'6

This was my situation
HS- PR- 14'6
Junior College- No Coach, no indoor or outdoor track, few poles PR- 15'9
2nd year of JC- Got Coach Phillips, and an outdoor track PR - 16'2
Redshirt year- Limited facilities (sneaking into) trained myself PR- 16'9 worked with Tim McMichael some
Junior year- Struggled with new coach SB- 16'1 :crying:
Senior Year- Last year to try and figure it out, jumped 5.20 4 times that indoor season (should of went much higher )

Last saturday- With limited training and practices of only 4-5lefts I jumped 16'7, came in to low to take any good shots at 5.20
Thanks for any help or recomendations, I don't know what my potential is but I know its alot higher than 5.25...
On a whole new level 6-20-09

EIUvltr
PV Pro
Expertise: Ex-collegiate pole vaulter B.S. Exercise Science ACSM personal trainer

Re: Looking for a place to train for 2010-2011

Unread postby EIUvltr » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:55 pm

Donetsk, Ukraine
"If he dies, he dies"

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:56 pm

KYLE ELLIS wrote: ... I would love to move some where warm, but I would be willing to go to the best situation even if it's in Antarctica. ...

Formia, Italy.

It's much warmer there than Antactica ... and that's where Petrov trains Isi and others.

This is a serious suggestion ... I've heard that the coaching fee is next to nothing ... you just have to figure out your room & board ... and get a work or study visa.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:03 pm

It's $300 for a year with Petrov at his "A-school" (5m+)... apparently if you're jumping high enough (18'+ probably) then it's free. :eek: There are definitely some cheap apartments for rent in Formia and Gaeta (a bigger town close by), some for around 300-400 Euro per month (I have looked). It's $30/night to stay at the facility itself.

I am planning on doing this myself after undergrad. :yes:

http://formia.coni.it/
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

Pogo Stick
PV Pro
Expertise: Former "College" Vaulter, Masters Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.70/15'5
Favorite Vaulter: Władysław Kozakiewicz

Unread postby Pogo Stick » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:15 pm

powerplant42 wrote:It's $300 for a year with Petrov at his "A-school" (5m+)... apparently if you're jumping high enough (18'+ probably) then it's free. :eek: There are definitely some cheap apartments for rent in Formia and Gaeta (a bigger town close by), some for around 300-400 Euro per month (I have looked). It's $30/night to stay at the facility itself.

I am planning on doing this myself after undergrad. :yes:

http://formia.coni.it/

You can always teach English in some private language school. The knowledge of Italian language is not necessary. They love native English speakers. I am sure you can find some apartment for less if you move 20-30 miles from Formia. This is too far from domestic people, but is still less than average daily commute by North American standards. Of course, you can always get some odd jobs to survive - same as in USA.
Napoli and Rome are 100 miles (2 hours) drive (car, train)...
-- Pogo

"It is not necessary to change. Survival is not mandatory." W. Edwards Deming

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:57 pm

I've heard that depending on the time of year, you don't actually work with Petrov much, just his assistants. As long as he is coaching Isi, that will be his number one priority, and that is a pretty big job with a lot of travel.

starkey480
PV Whiz

Unread postby starkey480 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:59 am

my dad coaches in queen creek, az it is really close to chandler and mesa and gilbert and that whole area.... we have an 150 ft runway, gill national size pole vault pit, a high bar, and some weight stuff indoors. you could message me if you want to contact him. what part of az are you in right now?

Andy_C
PV Pro

Unread postby Andy_C » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:28 am

If you're willing to move internationally...

Either Formia, Italy (Petrov) or Perth, Western Australia (Parnov).

For Perth though you need to be Aussie citizen so you'll actually have to legally emigrate here and you'll need 5.30m+ which shouldn't be a big problem. Brad Walker used to come down to Perth until the Aussie government stopped him, they didn't like Parnov training non-Aussies.
Hard work is wasted energy if you don't work wisely!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:07 am

This whole thread is hilarious. Garrett is the only one who gave useful advice. I think most people who have advice for Kyle are going to give it to him privately.

Andy_C
PV Pro

Unread postby Andy_C » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:21 am

rainbowgirl28 wrote:This whole thread is hilarious. Garrett is the only one who gave useful advice. I think most people who have advice for Kyle are going to give it to him privately.

Sorry but I sort of interpreted it as "I will do ANYTHING for the pole vault" initially. I can't tell if he's being sarcastic with the "Antarctica" joke - indicating that he's willing to do absolutely anything for improvement. But honestly, I think it's entirely possible that a 5.50m vaulter (assuming that he gets there) shows up to Formia. Not knowing Kyle personally, I have no insight into the extreme of his ambitions. I guess it's all a matter of how much you're willing to sacrifice from your own life. It's a big decision and he can definitely go far by staying in the US, but if he wants the absolute best, without exception, even if he has to throw everything else out the window... Not to put down anybody or anything from the US, it's just that I haven't seen that level of commitment put into an organized pole vault program in the US compared to the other two locations mentioned. Remember, it's not just about the coach, it's about the entire program.

I really wouldn't look at these options as being silly or not, instead I see them more of a question as to just how ambitious he is. The "international options" are entirely possible (though I must admit Perth is EXTREMELY unlikely, so he's better off going to Formia IMO), but does he want it THAT badly?
Hard work is wasted energy if you don't work wisely!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:29 am

It's also expensive and tough to get the right visas and tough to get jobs overseas. I don't think Kyle has rich parents who can bankroll an Italian adventure.

It's not a bad discussion to be having, the information about Formia is interesting, I just think this discussion mirrors so many others we have on here. Interesting but either not practical or not the most immediately helpful thing.

I don't mean to stop the discussion about exotic places to train. I hear Steve Rippon is a fantastic coach in the UK.

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:04 pm

I am open to EVRYTHING, for real. My girlfriend, who might be my "suga momma" (lol) for the first couple years until I can get on my feet. She was stoked when I told her someone suggeste that someone suggested Formia Italy, and she said lets go right now; being Italian herself. So yeah I am open to everything. Thanks for all the suggestions, keep em coming if you have them.... Crazy or not. :yes: :yes:
On a whole new level 6-20-09

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”