Flat feet

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
g00eY
PV Nerd
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter

Flat feet

Unread postby g00eY » Sat May 10, 2008 11:14 pm

I suspect this is the reason for my chronic shin splints, but that's not so much an issue because my shins actually feel like they've been getting better (thanks to the whirlpool treatment). Recently, though, my arches have begun to hurt... basically when I wear anything without support - which includes spikes and walking barefoot. It's ok whenever I wear my running shoes, which have support. Even the first step I take out of bed each morning hurts. I taped my arches up with athletic tape at my last meet and it helped a lot, but I don't know how to tape properly nor do I know whether or not this is a suitable treatment.

I didn't even realize how bad it was until my last meet. I figured it would just go away after a couple of days, but I guess not. I haven't talked to the school's trainer yet, but I was just wondering if you guys have had any experience with flat feet and/or any advice on how to deal with them.
PR - 13'0"

chuckd1356
PV Wannabe

Unread postby chuckd1356 » Sun May 11, 2008 4:02 pm

I have flat feet! haha
They don't bother me anymore. I had crazy shin splints, but I spent a lot of time doing some long distance running, and I think I learned how to run properly with them. I don't get shin splints any more.

But I have the Nike PV Zoom spikes and they're awesome. I don't know if they've helped with it or not, but so far it's been a good season.

I guess just stick it out! But I'm not the best advice giver.

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Sun May 11, 2008 5:51 pm

It is important to wear good shoes with lots of arch support, preferably orthotics. But also do some foot exercises to strengthen the muscles in your feet. Try picking up quarters with your toes or anything that flexes your toe muscle. That way you can use the orthotics to keep your arch in place, but you can still walk around and not be over-stretching them.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

jumpbackin
PV Whiz

Unread postby jumpbackin » Wed May 21, 2008 6:56 pm

You have Plantar Fasciitis. Look up Plantar Fasciitis Taping on the Web. I may have misspelled it but I'm sure you can still find it.

Also, Ice your feet before going to bed. And when you wake up, GENTLY stretch your arches before you get out of bed (no matter how bad you have to piss).

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”