Training without coach

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
euroeva
PV Fan

Training without coach

Unread postby euroeva » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:50 pm

Hi,
My coach has decided to retire this year and I will basically be on my own as the current coaches don't know much about PV. I plan on continuing the sport but was looking for any advice on what type of training to do on my own, or with a friend as to improve. I know th basic running, rings, ropes, but besides that any other advice would be appreciated. I am looking for more so technique advice, and training which can help in gaining height.

Thanks

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:01 pm

pole vaulting is dangerous, and even more dangerous without a coach. if any and at all possible find a coach at your level to guide you, if not search the forums for any information you are looking for, i know the safety aspect is talked about a lot. thats the #1 thing to worry about if training without a coach.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

euroeva
PV Fan

Unread postby euroeva » Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:47 pm

I know that saftey is very important, that's why I don't want just anyone coaching, but if i train by myself it will only be drills that I can do alone. I am not gonna atempt jumping w/o a qualified person there. The problem is clubs are very far away, and no other public school in the city has a coach for the sport.

sooch90
PV Pro
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby sooch90 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:10 am

vault3rb0y wrote:pole vaulting is dangerous, and even more dangerous without a coach. if any and at all possible find a coach at your level to guide you, if not search the forums for any information you are looking for, i know the safety aspect is talked about a lot. thats the #1 thing to worry about if training without a coach.

I agree. Last year I had absolutely no coaching, and even worse I just started pole vaulting. I didn't have the slightest idea what to do, so I ended up doing alot of dangerous and stupid things.

I still don't have a coach, but at least I worked alot over the summer with coaches and I have a better idea of what's dangerous and what's not.

My suggestion is work on your runs and your plant using a slide box.

theczar
PV Follower
Expertise: Coach/Former College Athlete
Lifetime Best: 17'1"

Unread postby theczar » Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:35 am

my coach only knew basics of vault, and after about a week of being with the vaulters at practice, he would go coach the throwers for the rest of the year, so basically I coached myself.

one piece of advice that I'd give anyone learning to vault is to WATCH AS MANY VIDEOS AS YOU POSSIBLY CAN!!! Not only the good vaulters either, watch everything you can and compare the good ones with the not-so-good ones and see what you need to do. Also, film your own vaults so you know where to improve.

So just do your homework and make sure you have propper supervision. :yes:

jcoover
PV Pro
Favorite Vaulter: Nicholas Panozzo

Unread postby jcoover » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:01 pm

Yeah. I was in the same exact boat. My coach taught us how to hold the pole and take off the ground and swing, but beyond that he would coach the 400. watch video watch video watch video!!! and dig thru these technique forums, because there are some really great posts by guys like Bubba and Altius... I ended up doing alright in high school without a coach with the help of PVP, Neovault and Stabhoch and anyone can!!! most of all, good luck to you!!

JCoov
"We can, by God, let our demons loose and just wail on!" - John L Parker

Soar Like an Eagle
PV Whiz
Expertise: High School Coach, Fan,
Lifetime Best: 17'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie, Steve Smith

Unread postby Soar Like an Eagle » Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:54 pm

jcoover wrote:Yeah. I was in the same exact boat. My coach taught us how to hold the pole and take off the ground and swing, but beyond that he would coach the 400. watch video watch video watch video!!! and dig thru these technique forums, because there are some really great posts by guys like Bubba and Altius... I ended up doing alright in high school without a coach with the help of PVP, Neovault and Stabhoch and anyone can!!! most of all, good luck to you!!

JCoov

Your coaches Bernie, Ed and the support of your father helped you have a very successful high school career. If I remember right, you jumped 9 to 10 feet as a freshman and 16’6â€Â

euroeva
PV Fan

Unread postby euroeva » Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:29 pm

hey,
Thanks a lot for your help, and support!

yasso_polevoult
PV Beginner

Unread postby yasso_polevoult » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:02 pm

its my problem also i dont hv coach its a big one its my 2nd year to train alone he is in another country so when i want to jump i hv to travel so i am looking for some advice waiting

g00eY
PV Nerd
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter

Unread postby g00eY » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:42 pm

I have a coach, but I think I've learned more just by browsing this forum. He basically tells me whether or not my step was on. We have a team of seven vaulters, all sophomores and freshman in high school, and we basically coach ourselves.
PR - 13'0"

Rhino
PV Pro

Unread postby Rhino » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:06 pm

g00eY wrote:I have a coach, but I think I've learned more just by browsing this forum. He basically tells me whether or not my step was on. We have a team of seven vaulters, all sophomores and freshman in high school, and we basically coach ourselves.

I don't want to come across as reckless, but the great majority of us were self-coached a few years back. A coach's input back then was to tell us to run 5 X 440 under 55 seconds.

A knowlegeable coach is a valuable asset, but I wouldn't consider it a prerequisite to the event.

Noah
PV Newbie

Unread postby Noah » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:19 pm

yeah we are pretty much doing the same thing. My coach is leaving our highschool but he is moving just down the road in the same city to our college. He asked if I could still train with him at the college and i said yes because i was expecting to have to beg him to do that. But during track season, ill be alone because i cant go over to the college every 4th block for track/pe.

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”