Ibuprofen

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
ennairb
PV Nerd

Unread postby ennairb » Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:21 pm

Taking creatine, glutamine, aminos and vitamins and lovin it.

i've never taken any supplements or anything, but i do know from my anatomy class that you've got to be really careful with creatine - its a dehydrant ... so it requires you to drink a lot of water ... although it can increase your strength and performance ... your muscles swell with water, so with creatine ... your muscles really aren't as big as they seem - they're just swollen ... which is why a lot of body builders use the stuff ... but just be really careful ... if you don't get enough water in your body for the creatine to dissolve in (and it requires a lot) it can be hard for your kidneys to excrete it ... the unused creatine can even crystallize in your kidney - i know someone who that happened to - and it had to be surgically taken care of ... so the main thing is ... if you're gonna use the stuff - make sure that you drink plenty of water
"Being grown up isn't half as fun as growing up - these are the best days of our lives. The only thing that matters is just following your heart and eventually you'll finally get it right."

- The Ataris -

nolevault
PV Fan

Unread postby nolevault » Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:25 pm

That would make for a great competition. Everyone all hyped up on anti-inflammatories and codeine. "What do you want your standards on?, Whatever dude, it's all good." That would be funnier than the jock jump at UF.
The greatest gift I ever received was the look on a young vaulters' face after setting a PR!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:40 pm

nolevault wrote:That would be funnier than the jock jump at UF.

Hah I don't know about that... :P

nolevault
PV Fan

Unread postby nolevault » Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:14 pm

it's not whether you remember it or not, it's whether or not anyone has any pictures of it....
The greatest gift I ever received was the look on a young vaulters' face after setting a PR!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:16 pm

nolevault wrote:it's not whether you remember it or not, it's whether or not anyone has any pictures of it....

My friend who was supposed to be taking pictures, got all shy about taking pictures.

They wouldn't be online anyway :P

CHC04Vault
PV Follower

Unread postby CHC04Vault » Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:21 am

Creatine is NOT bad...people seem to not understand it is made naturally in your body. Even lab creatine isn't BAD for you, just does absolutly nothing, it dosn't dehydrate you unless i think you have to many sulhphides in your blood stream. Anyways, Ibprofuen is also a blood thinner, thats why it is bad for you kidneys, so taking it alot is always bad, just like anything, even too much water can kill you and im not talking about drowning. This is the stuff you learn in Anatomy...at least im gettin my money's worth :D
"Good my jump, it will be done" Bubka

izzystikchik
PV Follower
Location: MARQUETTE UNIVERSITY in Milwaukee, WI. ~ My home town is in OakPark, IL

Unread postby izzystikchik » Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:48 am

Well, i guess i have to admit that i took too many ib-profene in the past year, it was unnneccesary at times too, but i am trying to ween myself off it phycologically too... :o

vaulter0512
PV Nerd

Unread postby vaulter0512 » Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:53 pm

I take mortin like crazy...i take 3 everday before practice and then three after practice or before meets an after... with 2 tylenol...ever since my back injury that's what my dr. told me to take..but i drink a ton of water..i dont drink anything but water actualy- - expect for organe juice..and a take 1000mg of Vitiam C with Ascorbic Acid b/c it took my shin splints away!!! so i guess you could call me a pill poper lol jk..but my stomach never hurts or anything..

But now that my back injury isn't as bad i might take 5 mortin at the most in one day......i dont feel like i need it but i do it to keep any inflamation from going on
Always Improve...Always Evolve...Never Give up...

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:24 pm

vaulter0512 wrote:but my stomach never hurts or anything..

Yet. Give it a few years and it will... :P

PvRowSwim
PV Nerd

Unread postby PvRowSwim » Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:49 pm

Vaulter0512: *Work Hard!*Kick Some @$$!* Chew some Gum!*
Chew some Gum: I am totally up for that!

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”