Come-back stories!!!

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
jumpbackin
PV Whiz

Unread postby jumpbackin » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:14 am

indestructo wrote:I've gone through a few recovery periods. From tearing my ACL, MCL, and both meniscus in my knee in late January, having the joint scoped to clean out all the torn stuff (not repairing anything), and then jumping 15ft range again early April, to tearing shoulder cartilidge in my top arm and returning after a few weeks, to my latest incident.

In early June I was testing out a pole that I was going to put our best guy on. It gave out and snapped at full bend. I landed safely on the mats, but my arm folded up under me, badly dislocating my bottom arm elbow. It was a hot day, slightly dehydrated and out of breath quickly gave me the very unpleasant experience of going into shock (not to mention the sight of seeing my arm bending in a direction that God hadn't meant it to go). That experience was only surpassed by the amazing pain that arrived during the ambulance ride. 4 shots of morphine weren't working. And I guess they gave me some kind of concious sedation so that I wouldn't remember them setting the elbow. My then fiancee says it took 4 guys to hold me down..... kinda glad I don't remember. The worst part of the whole thing was that I was getting married in a month.... Tux's and braces/casts don't mix well....angry fiancee's don't either...

No serious damage tho, and the elbow was out of bracing after a week, however, I'm still working on the tendons and muscles... somewhere around 90% healed...

***ALERT****ALERT****VERY TASTELESS COMMENT COMMING!****

Not so indestructo, eh?

indestructo
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Former College Coach, Current High School Coach, Post-Collegiate Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 15'6"

Unread postby indestructo » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:22 am

LOL!

You might say that..... then again, I've taken breaks, strains, snaps, and tears, yet I'm still here jumping..... as posted above, "Mind over matter".... in that sense.....indestructo fits well...

The mind is a very powerful tool, one that amazingly few people every truely explore the potential of. Vaulters are that rare instance where you see the mind flourish(sp?).
"Heart"

jumpbackin
PV Whiz

Unread postby jumpbackin » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:41 pm

I like it.

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”