Pull-Ups...

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:47 pm

vaulter chick 08 wrote:i have a problem with pull-ups...i have pretty strong arms, shoudlers, abs and everything, i just cant do pull-ups. maybe like, 3 at most, and usually with a spotter.

Pullups are hard! You just have to keep practicing them. Do as many as you can by yourself, then have a spotter help you with the rest. You just have to keep working on them to build the muscles it takes to do them.

Tim McMichael
PV Master
Expertise: Current college and private coach. Former elite vaulter.

Unread postby Tim McMichael » Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:07 pm

In my prime - 58 without stopping. I could also do 2 with 100 lbs hanging from a belt.

I allow my athletes to kip on pullups because it mimics what the abs quads and lats do at the beginning of the swing.

I think pulling strength is by far the most important strength component for the upper body.

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

pull ups

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:58 pm

I have my ladies to a set of "work downs" after our gymnastic workout. That's ten with palms facing out, 9 with palms facing in, 8 palms facing out, etc down to three. The idea is to be able to "pop" all of them (as fast as possible). That's 52 pull-ups

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:56 pm

i usually do my leg lifts on this nice little upright station, then go to bubkas, then finish off with pull ups. I like to do 5 pull ups from dead hang to chin followed by a full pull over with 10 dips after that on the bar. I usually only get 3 or 4 sets of this in, its killer.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

Lax PV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former HS and college vaulter, college and HS level coaching, CSCS certified
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Tarasov

Unread postby Lax PV » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:18 pm

I really like a lot of the talk about the total dead hang. When we rise, we try and pull until our fists on the bar touch our shoulders... this gets your chin about 2-3" past the bar.

Another one i suggest you try out... Hang from the bar with your fet straight out in front of you (L-Sit) and have a wide grip. Now, rather than pulling straight up, go back and fourth to each side, i.e. getting you chin over your right hand, then your left, then you right... you get the idea...

Try it out, let me know what you think..

newPVer
PV Pro

Unread postby newPVer » Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:12 pm

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... 5A59147602
that guy does a total of 16 or 17 on handed. I think he wins. I can do 1 1-armed. just strait one arm, not one on the bar and the other hand on your wrist. I just did 18 all of the way down, but if i only go 90* i can get about 30-32.
PR- 15-1
Great season, time to top it

patybobady
PV Pro
Expertise: High School Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'9"
Favorite Vaulter: Derek Miles

Unread postby patybobady » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:53 pm

In college I would do a set of three, then walk a few feet, walk back and do another three. Doig this until I reached about 200 or so was a good butt kicking.
Fight the good fight: It's nice to be great but it's far greater to be nice.

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”