techinque related injury

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
SweetPVJumps
PV Whiz

Unread postby SweetPVJumps » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:50 pm

my coach has been trying to help me fix my takeoff for months, and hes an awesome coach and i know what hes explaining to me, but i cant quite put myself in the correct position, i always consistently block out with my bottom arm (so that my top arm is in front of my body a little) and take off with my leg bent and my foot in front of me. when i can i do lots and lots of sliding box drills, but like the other day out of more than 30 of those i only did two right. so i guess im saying any other ideas/drills to help me just finally fix this problem with my takeoff?
and thanks so much!!

Gator Alum
PV Newbie

Unread postby Gator Alum » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:42 am

Sweetjumps-

Be careful of how much training you are doing. Enthusiam is great, all coaches would rather coach an athlete that wants to make corrections to their technique, but 30 sliding box drills if you were doing them from your full approach is definately overboard. Not sure how old you are, but its going to take quite a few days to recover from that. I'm not a huge fan of the sliding box, I'm not saying its a bad drill, it is just one that I don't care for. But if I was to have my athletes do them, 6-8 in a day would absolutely be the most from their full approach.

There are a few drills that can help your problem, the one I recommend most is too difficult to explain, I could fax you or your coach a diagram of the set up if you are interested.
"Its time to punish the body"

SweetPVJumps
PV Whiz

Unread postby SweetPVJumps » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:08 am

o trust me i know, i decided yesterday that the next time i do box drills ill purposely limit myslef to about 10, and i dont do them from long approach, but thanks

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”